Menu
rivington02
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

...@Virgin.net mail - pop3 OK but webmail unavailable

I have used a virgin.net email address since I first connected to the internet. All my accounts use it and to change it will take weeks of time. It has worked for me even though I have changed ISP several times.

I discovered last week that I can no longer access my email through virginmedia webmail (although my POP access through Outlook is still working.)

If I try to log in to email on VirginMedia.com I get an error message as follows... "Connection error. The service is not available right now. Retry".

If I try to log in to my Virgin media 'account' I get the error message "Hi xxxxxx (my name..so they still recognise me). We're really sorry but the offers and promotions on our site are no longer available to Virgin Media National customers, due to the move to TalkTalk."

I browsed around this site and I see that some people have been informed that they are losing their email addresses, or have already lost them, but as far as I can remember, I haven't been informed of this.

So I called Talktalk, who finally told me that I had NOT been transferred to them. They had no details for my email account.

Does anyone know what is going on? Or have a number I can call to find out?

I really need a timescale by which I need to transfer all my accounts to an another email address. (Not the way I planned to spend Christmas.)

Thanks in advance for you help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ...@Virgin.net mail - pop3 OK but webmail unavailable

In webmail try the following when an error occurs or the web page becomes unresponsive:

AFAIK, email accounts are deleted after 90 days: 

• of inactivity
  • after an account's termination

For reasons best know to Virgin Media the latter did not occur with consistence which means those email accounts maybe deleted at some point and (AFAICS) without notice; the urgency to find an alternative email service provider should be self-evident for those finding themselves in this unfortunate  position.

IMHO, find an email service provider that is independent of any ISP and appropriate for your email needs. There are numerous advantages to be gained by this, for instance, choice of ISP is no longer influenced by concern of email address loss.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ...@Virgin.net mail - pop3 OK but webmail unavailable

rivington02 wrote:

I have used a virgin.net email address since I first connected to the internet. All my accounts use it and to change it will take weeks of time. It has worked for me even though I have changed ISP several times.

You have changed ISP's several times yet you still expect VM to provide you with an email service you don't pay for?

Really?

I discovered last week that I can no longer access my email through virginmedia webmail (although my POP access through Outlook is still working.)

The virgin.net service (ADSL broadband) was sold to TalkTalk, and VM customers started to be shed in December 2014.

I was one of the "customers" who was sold to TalkTalk ,without my permission or express consent, and my email access to virgin.net emails was terminated after after only  90 days. That gave me access until March 2015, and I was still a paying , yet unwanted customer.

Yet here you are, 2 years later, complaining that you don't have webmail access to a service you don't pay for?

If I try to log in to email on VirginMedia.com I get an error message as follows... "Connection error. The service is not available right now. Retry".

As you are not a VM customer why would you expect VM to provide you with any of their services?

If I try to log in to my Virgin media 'account' I get the error message "Hi xxxxxx (my name..so they still recognise me). We're really sorry but the offers and promotions on our site are no longer available to Virgin Media National customers, due to the move to TalkTalk."

The first moves to TalkTalk happened in late 2014, early 2015. If your account had been moved you would/should have known it. Payments previously going to VM would then be going to TalkTalk.

You would also have probably noticed a marked reduction in your connection speeds and levels of service at this time.

I browsed around this site and I see that some people have been informed that they are losing their email addresses, or have already lost them, but as far as I can remember, I haven't been informed of this.

VM were particularly bad, some may say totally inept, at informing their customers of this "sell out" at the time, but it was over two years ago. Sadly, "if you missed the memo" it's too late to complain now.

So I called Talktalk, who finally told me that I had NOT been transferred to them. They had no details for my email account.

Why call TalkTalk if you already know you are not one of their customers?

Does anyone know what is going on?  

Yes. You have continued to use an email address, from an ISP that you no longer use nor pay for, and are now upset that they are in the process of shutting that service down.

Or have a number I can call to find out?

As you are not a VM customer any telephone contact will be worthless. Current paying VM customers often find exactly the same thing!

I really need a timescale by which I need to transfer all my accounts to an another email address. (Not the way I planned to spend Christmas.)

Timescale? Do it NOW, NOW NOW. (You really have done it 2 years ago Smiley Frustrated )

Thanks in advance for you help.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos