Menu
Lamster
Tuning in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email

Hi

there

My virgin.net email has stopped working.

I have been told that these addresses are being shutdown?

I was advised it can be recovered but I am not a virgin media customer. This has happened with no warning I have been using this account for almost 20years most of my personal and professional contacts use this adress to get me I have many things linked to this addess.

I was told that my password has been changed and I need to log in to change it back I appear to not be recognised at all and my security question of mothers maiden name is wrong so how do I get to my email?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net email

Lamster wrote:

I have been told that these addresses are being shutdown? I was advised it can be recovered but I am not a virgin media customer. This has happened with no warning I have been using this account for almost 20years most of my personal and professional contacts use this adress to get me I have many things linked to this addess.

The virgin.net domain is not being removed, I believe you're thinking about the TalkTalk stuff. Long story short: if you do not have broadband with Virgin Media - you get no email access from them. An active account with the broadband service is required. Your account has likely slipped through the automatic process which disables active email accounts which are tied to a disconnected billing account. However, the system has finally caught up with your account and dealt with it.

ISP provided email should not relied upon as you often cannot keep it after leaving the ISP.

If you rejoin VM and take out broadband services you can get your email back.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
chatty_girl
Tuning in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I am one of the virgin.net people sold to talktalk last year and as I did not want to move elsewhere had to go with the TalkTalk transfer as all my stationery carried the virgin.net address and I would be able to use this for more than the 90 days Virgin gave you if you wanted to leave. Both Talk Talk and Virgin have both been very quiet about just how long we could keep the .net address - "a year/indefinitely/ 1 April 2016 / 30 June 2016 all appear in various threads.  Because of the problems with the virgin. smtp server when I was down for some 48 hours last week (finally tricked the server into resetting by re-entering but not changing my passwords - a suggestion from nicola_c and working but feels fragile) today I decided to set up a talktalk address to make sure it was working before I changed over completely. I have to log in to TalkTalk My Account using the virgin.net email address but it won't accept the creation of any new address. [ hit the confirm button, it loads and then the screen just returns to the same page with no indication of success or otherwise]. Rang the support service ( TalkTalk just as bad as the Virgin support - same call centre probably, just wearing different hat.) First she said problem with My Account, but then not.  Then said setting up alternate address would cancel my .net address, then said alternate meant alternate not substitute but by then I had completely lost faith in her and rang off.  As far as I know my broadband is still an adsl.with virgin although all payment taken by talk talk so I assume there is an arrangement between them.  Has anyone succeeded in running both virgin.net and talktalk email addresses alongside each other and if so how did you manage it ? !!!  I've spent the last week trying to resolve these problems and rapidly losing the will to live.  All contributions welcome.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Most likely you're having those TalkTalk account issues because yours was setup in a non-standard way (being moved from one ISP to another.) As with all off-shore based support lines, you sometimes need to call in multiple times just get through to someone helpful. And as mentioned, being that your account wasn't directly setup by you through TalkTalk, it could have issues preventing the normal email account creation process. That would be something TalkTalk need to fix.

I'm not sure about the TalkTalk system, but in the VM one you could set a 3rd party email account as the login username. With that in mind have you set yourself up a Google Gmail or Microsoft Outlook.com email account and tried setting that as your login username?

As it stands, you're 100% a TalkTalk customer in terms of getting services from them and paying for said services. VM stopped supporting ADSL a year back near now. Yes the customers who moved to TalkTalk last summer will be losing their email accounts this summer.

Advise: Don't setup a TalkTalk email, go with a Google or Microsoft one, as you can keep it without worrying about losing it (in the long term) if you have to switch ISP again. The TalkTalk system would hopefully have the facility to specify a 3rd party email address as the login. 

+Add: if it is not something you can set on your end (3rd party email address) then TalkTalk should be able to edit your accounts username on the system end. Ensure you have the Google or Microsoft email setup in advance of asking for that to be done.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
chatty_girl
Tuning in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for all the really good comments/advice.  I was thinking about non-ISP specific but was put off by an experienced techie friend advising me to avoid doing that because of security issues with GMail etc and also the amount of advertising junk you are sent.  I will explore your suggestions and post again when I know how I've got on.  Thanks again for the speedy reply.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

chatty_girl wrote:

Many thanks for all the really good comments/advice.  I was thinking about non-ISP specific but was put off by an experienced techie friend advising me to avoid doing that because of security issues with GMail etc and also the amount of advertising junk you are sent.  I will explore your suggestions and post again when I know how I've got on.  Thanks again for the speedy reply.

GMail and Microsoft email offerings come with Two Factor Authentication (2FA) which ISP provided emails don't. Also, ISP email accounts are highly targetted by spammers and hackers more intently than random free email accounts which may or may not have any value linked to them. But an ISP email ties into an billing account and where there is billing - there is credit cards etc details to steal and so on.

2FA (which is optional - you don't need to add it) allows you to set a mobile phone as a second security step, so even if a hacker gets your accounts password somehow, they'd need physical access to your phone to get into the account.

Google and Microsoft do a pretty good job of junk filtering, they've got decades old trained spam filters in place, which are strong. Also, note how TalkTalk have been repeatedly hacked - one would certainly not be able to trust an email account from an ISP which is repeatedly hacked.

- - - - - -
Lamster
Tuning in
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No cable in my area, cant even get terestial TV only Sky.

I was told by VM rep outside my local supermarket that I can get virgin email and pay a fee to resurect the account?

Wouldn't mind but there was no warning to make arrangements to transfer everything over to one of my other email accounts.

Hind Sight is a wonderful thing but usually pretty unhelpful, the problem is apathy everything was fine and has been for 20years so why would I change anything

The fact that I changed my service 8 or 9 years ago and up untill last week had no issue with access, I was not worried about the isp suddenly pulling the service I assumed that VM would have at least informed their historic customers of their intention before pulling the plug? Or rather performing a mass hack on historic accounts then holding the user to (b)ransom to "Join Us" if you want your account back?

Not everyone that emails on this address is in my contacts

In the meantime all my personal data is stockpiled on a server I can't access.

As this includes historic finacial and other personal corespondance  i'm pretty unhappy about this.

Surely if the account is effectivly closed VM are effectivly stealing my data by not allowing me access to it to manage it.

The decent thing to do is to temporarily forward the data on the server to me before deleting the account alltogether?

Personally I find this kind of action underhanded if VM thought  it hurts the companies bottom line to maintain this service for "Free" which I agree isn't great for business they could have offered an amnasty to those users to buy that account or rent that address.for a fee.

Instead it shows me that like their predececor NTL they don't care too much about their customers or how their stratagy effects real people I'm not going to be the only one that has been on the receiving end of this decision. But despite this VM assume people will join them.

Why would anybody choose do that with a company that  has the business acumen of a dodgy secondhand car salesman

I'd say a missed business opertunity

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Lamster wrote:

Hi

No cable in my area, cant even get terestial TV only Sky. I was told by VM rep outside my local supermarket that I can get virgin email and pay a fee to resurect the account?
Yeap hi, unfortunately the VM rep was wrong. VM don't offer a subscription service to keep email accounts. I think BT is the only UK company to offer such a ft. for their departing customer(s), last I read BT charged £2 a month for that option.

Wouldn't mind but there was no warning to make arrangements to transfer everything over to one of my other email accounts.
Were you paying for the dial up service or something like that? From what I am aware, the T&Cs for it were: keep using the dial up and you can keep the email. Same for ADSL and same for cable broadband. Nothing has changed there.

Yes, not knowing and going on blindly thinking the email was yours forever is the result of not being informed of the closure that would/should happen 90 days after you leave is a horrible outcome.

The fact that I changed my service 8 or 9 years ago and up untill last week had no issue with access, I was not worried about the isp suddenly pulling the service I assumed that VM would have at least informed their historic customers of their intention before pulling the plug? Or rather performing a mass hack on historic accounts then holding the user to (b)ransom to "Join Us" if you want your account back?
The setup is just to repeatedly check the system for accounts that are active that shouldn't be and shut them down. Nothing more, it is pretty basic.

Not everyone that emails on this address is in my contacts. In the meantime all my personal data is stockpiled on a server I can't access. As this includes historic finacial and other personal corespondance  i'm pretty unhappy about this.
Perhaps a member of the Forum Team could arrange for a one-time short reactivation to allow you get access to your old data and be able to email people to let them know you switched ISP. They've done it in the past on a few exception cases. I'll [at] mention them to get their attention. No guarantee it would be offered though. @ForumTeam 

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Lamster
Tuning in
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

That 1 off access would be helpful.

When I moved home I set up broadband no cable option so the dial up was not used.

Problem with Ts&Cs is even if you do read them not much of it stays in so to speak, especially the parts that are there when things go wrong and the agreement cancelled?  Many people find they neglected tio read the 3 months notice period and then get upset when the get a bill for the 3 month cancelation period!.

90 days? Wow 9 years is pretty good then?

What actually happens to the address is the data from the account deleated after a period of unuse What happens to new mails are they refused and bounced back to the sender?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Lamster wrote:

90 days? Wow 9 years is pretty good then?
Yeap Cat Very Happy

What actually happens to the address is the data from the account deleated after a period of unuse What happens to new mails are they refused and bounced back to the sender?

They get disabled. What happens to the email account's contents when disabled I'm not sure. I know what VM do with inactivity disabled ones content wise (inbox content is erased), but I don't know not what happens email accounts tied to dead billing accounts content wise. New mails should be bounced back to the sender as far as I am aware.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos