Menu
Highlighted
suesumm48
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin emails stopped on Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)

Hello

I was wondering if there had been any known problems with receiving Virgin mails through the email app since 5th November? I got my new phone in August and had been receiving email notifications and emails via the mail app since then, but a few weeks ago they stopped overnight. I can still log in on my computer, but it's much easier for me to check and reply quickly on my phone while I'm connected to my home wifi. I've sent a test email to see if I can send emails, and I appear to be able to, but they then don't show up on my phone.

I haven't changed any settings recently, so I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do and have no idea why the emails have suddenly stopped coming through - is there an update or something I should be aware of? I've checked lots of sites and I seem to have the correct settings.

Thank you!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin emails stopped on Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)

Yes, deleting the account and setting it up again is the next step (I would power it off after the delete just to make sure that all the old settings have been deleted).

Then when you set it up again - follow what your manual says - 

"If you have custom settings you need to configure, tap Manual setup and enter your settings. These may include mail type, user name, password, server, security type, and more."

So, have a copy of the VM settings in front of you when you do that.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like your email account settings may have been changed. Any software upgrades done to your phone recently?

Check what the settings should be - here -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/td-p/3166396

and follow instructions in your phone manual - here - 

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201602/20160209001117611/BST_SM-J320P_J3_EN_UM_LL_5.1_O...

at around page 133 to see if they are correct or not.

0 Kudos
suesumm48
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Many thanks for your reply. I've checked the settings and they seem OK, so not sure where to go from here. Is it worth deleting the account I have set up and putting it in again? The phone has done a few updates since I've had it, but it just says it's updating apps automatically so I'm not sure which ones it's done! I'm not a techy person as you can tell!

Many thanks

Sue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, deleting the account and setting it up again is the next step (I would power it off after the delete just to make sure that all the old settings have been deleted).

Then when you set it up again - follow what your manual says - 

"If you have custom settings you need to configure, tap Manual setup and enter your settings. These may include mail type, user name, password, server, security type, and more."

So, have a copy of the VM settings in front of you when you do that.

suesumm48
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi again

Well deleting the account and re-adding it appears to have worked and it's now downloaded all my emails! Many thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Sue

0 Kudos
bmberry
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Similar to this on the 12th October my NTL world emails stopped coming through the only way I could see them was to log onto the Virgin site where there were all " greyed out" Numerous phone calls, complaints ignored and still after over 5 weeks the situation remains the same. Apparently Zigo or similar name are responsible for the network but despite numerous request from level 2 at Virgin still nothing has been done. What absolutely rubbish service from Virgin. I would never recommend them to anybody.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

bmberry

If you put “greyed out emails with line through them” into the search box at the top of this page (and hit Search) you will find at least one probable explanation for your problem.

Basically, greyed-out on webmail means that your phone has issued a delete command over IMAP but has not yet issued a purge command. Suggest you read up on your phone’s instructions and IMAP.

As your problem is DIFFERENT from the one in this thread. Please raise a new post of your own if you have any further questions.

0 Kudos