Menu
bazann
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin email

What is the matter with Virgin's email service: IT IS TOTALLY UNFIT FOR PURPOSE! In utter frustration at the ridiculous time it takes to respond, asking me endless times if I'm a ROBOT, then dropping out and having to start all over again, I'm gradually migrating all correspondence to GMail. This all started when Virgin parted company with Google and decided they could manage their own email client - get real Virgin, you have proved that you haven't a clue. Quite frankly I used to get faster log in when I used to use DIAL UP! What are you doing Virgin?????

Helpful Answers
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin email

I'd suggest that it doesn't really matter what the Virgin Media email team are or are not doing because you can quickly obtain a better free email service elsewhere.  I recommend Google.  You mention gradually migrating all correspondence to Gmail.  Do you know about the automated tools to move your mail quickly?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en

Here are a few of the glaring problems with the Virgin Media email system I know about:

1) Large quantities of legitimate emails are not being delivered to Virgin Media accounts since August 2015.  Commercial senders in the business of delivering messages for other companies, organizations, and government agencies are not receiving timely help from Virgin Media staff in resolving inappropriate blocks which the Virgin Media automated spam-control system has been putting on incoming emails.  The end result is that some emails are not getting through to your accounts.  These senders invariably report they do not have problems delivering similar messages to any other email provider.  If you can manage with an account which only receives a portion of the email sent to it, then by all means continue to use a Virgin Media account; however, most people need reliable email delivery!  If this problem had surfaced only a few weeks ago, I'd suggest being patient and waiting for it to be resolved; however, the first reports of this problem date from August 2015, more than a year ago.  There are hundreds of them as you can read here

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

The underlying issues have not been resolved or appropriately acknowledged.

2) The POP3 connection method is not operating the way it should.  If you connect an email client to a Virgin Media account using POP3 and use the setting to remove messages from the server and then delete email messages in your email program, the messages are not being deleted on the Virgin Media server.  Here is the statement on the topic:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/m-p/2994032#U2994032

Work-arounds include not using POP3 as a connection method, instead using web mail or an IMAP connection, or using POP3 and logging in to web mail regularly to delete all the messages which have not been removed.  It is not a terribly serious problem; however, it is yet another indication that Virgin Media is not operating an email system up to the standards of its peers.

3) Your Virgin Media email password is restricted to a maximum of ten characters.  This is highly unusual.  The Virgin Media email offering is not keeping up with the requirements for a modern email system.  Longer passwords are stronger passwords.  This constraint on password length limits your ability to use a good strong password and is likely to make Virgin Media accounts attractive to hackers.  Yahoo! suggests that a strong password has 12 or more characters. 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/password-guess-sln3012.html

Setting a password which is 12 or more characters long is not possible on a Virgin Media email account.  Other free email providers have much larger limits on password lengths such as 32 or 64 characters.  For your own safety, use an email account which gives you the capability to set long and strong passwords.

4) There are other important features offered by other free email providers which Virgin Media does not offer yet.  These days it is not difficult to inadvertently give away your email address and password to "phishing".  These are spam emails containing a link designed to make you log in to a scam web site "to pay your bill which could not be processed", "to keep your account active", "to upgrade your account" and so forth.  The messages usually have a fast-approaching deadline to encourage you to act quickly.  Virgin Media accounts receive new variants of phishing emails every week.  Staff at Virgin Media do a fantastic job of keeping a list updated here (scroll down to see the phishing emails):

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Many of these phishing emails have been specifically designed to resemble legitimate emails from Virgin Media headquarters and are decidedly slick which means that they probably catch out hundreds of Virgin Media account holders every week.

Two-step verification is a feature offered by other free email providers.  If you use this feature and find that you have given away your email address and password, you are still able to stop other people from logging into your account.   Here is Google's description,

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Google, Yahoo! and others offer this important feature.  Virgin Media does not yet.

5)  Spam filters.  The Virgin Media spam filters are not blocking as much true spam as those operated by other free email providers.   Phishing emails, for example, are spam and should not be reaching your mailbox with any regularity.  Google accounts offer superb spam filtering.

6)  Virgin Media email accounts do not protect their owners from spoofing.   Any spammer can send email pretending to be from any Virgin Media address.  Virgin Media does not have settings in place to tell other email providers that these messages is not legitimate and should not be delivered.  Other free email providers protect their users against this sort of nonsense which can be very damaging to the account holder.

7) Virgin Media accounts do not offer you an automated tool to look at the history of log ins to your account or to warn you that there has been suspicious account activity.  In some cases, Virgin Media sends a text message or postal letter when they have detected unusual account activity.  A Google account will warn you immediately by email if there has been a change in log in patterns or if a connection is made to your account from an unusual location, such as a foreign country.  You can also view an account history web page to see date, times and IP address of your logins, invaluable information if you are troubleshooting a problem,

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

In short, you certainly have better options when it comes to free email accounts, and at the current time you are wise to make a move.  I do hope and expect that Virgin Media will eventually pull their socks up and address a number of these issues, but for your own safety and sanity, don't bother hanging around waiting. 

Others who have made the move from a Virgin Media account to a Gmail account recently wonder why they didn't do it sooner!

-Wrock

All Replies
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd suggest that it doesn't really matter what the Virgin Media email team are or are not doing because you can quickly obtain a better free email service elsewhere.  I recommend Google.  You mention gradually migrating all correspondence to Gmail.  Do you know about the automated tools to move your mail quickly?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en

Here are a few of the glaring problems with the Virgin Media email system I know about:

1) Large quantities of legitimate emails are not being delivered to Virgin Media accounts since August 2015.  Commercial senders in the business of delivering messages for other companies, organizations, and government agencies are not receiving timely help from Virgin Media staff in resolving inappropriate blocks which the Virgin Media automated spam-control system has been putting on incoming emails.  The end result is that some emails are not getting through to your accounts.  These senders invariably report they do not have problems delivering similar messages to any other email provider.  If you can manage with an account which only receives a portion of the email sent to it, then by all means continue to use a Virgin Media account; however, most people need reliable email delivery!  If this problem had surfaced only a few weeks ago, I'd suggest being patient and waiting for it to be resolved; however, the first reports of this problem date from August 2015, more than a year ago.  There are hundreds of them as you can read here

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

The underlying issues have not been resolved or appropriately acknowledged.

2) The POP3 connection method is not operating the way it should.  If you connect an email client to a Virgin Media account using POP3 and use the setting to remove messages from the server and then delete email messages in your email program, the messages are not being deleted on the Virgin Media server.  Here is the statement on the topic:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/m-p/2994032#U2994032

Work-arounds include not using POP3 as a connection method, instead using web mail or an IMAP connection, or using POP3 and logging in to web mail regularly to delete all the messages which have not been removed.  It is not a terribly serious problem; however, it is yet another indication that Virgin Media is not operating an email system up to the standards of its peers.

3) Your Virgin Media email password is restricted to a maximum of ten characters.  This is highly unusual.  The Virgin Media email offering is not keeping up with the requirements for a modern email system.  Longer passwords are stronger passwords.  This constraint on password length limits your ability to use a good strong password and is likely to make Virgin Media accounts attractive to hackers.  Yahoo! suggests that a strong password has 12 or more characters. 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/password-guess-sln3012.html

Setting a password which is 12 or more characters long is not possible on a Virgin Media email account.  Other free email providers have much larger limits on password lengths such as 32 or 64 characters.  For your own safety, use an email account which gives you the capability to set long and strong passwords.

4) There are other important features offered by other free email providers which Virgin Media does not offer yet.  These days it is not difficult to inadvertently give away your email address and password to "phishing".  These are spam emails containing a link designed to make you log in to a scam web site "to pay your bill which could not be processed", "to keep your account active", "to upgrade your account" and so forth.  The messages usually have a fast-approaching deadline to encourage you to act quickly.  Virgin Media accounts receive new variants of phishing emails every week.  Staff at Virgin Media do a fantastic job of keeping a list updated here (scroll down to see the phishing emails):

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Many of these phishing emails have been specifically designed to resemble legitimate emails from Virgin Media headquarters and are decidedly slick which means that they probably catch out hundreds of Virgin Media account holders every week.

Two-step verification is a feature offered by other free email providers.  If you use this feature and find that you have given away your email address and password, you are still able to stop other people from logging into your account.   Here is Google's description,

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Google, Yahoo! and others offer this important feature.  Virgin Media does not yet.

5)  Spam filters.  The Virgin Media spam filters are not blocking as much true spam as those operated by other free email providers.   Phishing emails, for example, are spam and should not be reaching your mailbox with any regularity.  Google accounts offer superb spam filtering.

6)  Virgin Media email accounts do not protect their owners from spoofing.   Any spammer can send email pretending to be from any Virgin Media address.  Virgin Media does not have settings in place to tell other email providers that these messages is not legitimate and should not be delivered.  Other free email providers protect their users against this sort of nonsense which can be very damaging to the account holder.

7) Virgin Media accounts do not offer you an automated tool to look at the history of log ins to your account or to warn you that there has been suspicious account activity.  In some cases, Virgin Media sends a text message or postal letter when they have detected unusual account activity.  A Google account will warn you immediately by email if there has been a change in log in patterns or if a connection is made to your account from an unusual location, such as a foreign country.  You can also view an account history web page to see date, times and IP address of your logins, invaluable information if you are troubleshooting a problem,

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

In short, you certainly have better options when it comes to free email accounts, and at the current time you are wise to make a move.  I do hope and expect that Virgin Media will eventually pull their socks up and address a number of these issues, but for your own safety and sanity, don't bother hanging around waiting. 

Others who have made the move from a Virgin Media account to a Gmail account recently wonder why they didn't do it sooner!

-Wrock

malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrock,

Superb post mate!

This should be compulsory reading for all Virgin Media customers. I know it won't be, but it should be made a 'sticky' by the forum mods.

Virgin Media, sit up and smell the coffee. You are providing a forth rate service (yes, even worse than a third rate service) to your PAYING customers!

0 Kudos
bazann
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

An excellent exposition of the state of Virgin e-mail! What is a real shame is that Virgin never (in my experience) acknowledge that there are issues or problems. As recently as 11th Nov I rang to complain about the sluggish and frequently no resonse at all service from their server! I referenced gmail resonse time, which is almost the instant you finish keying your password!

I am aware of many of the issues you detail, but many thanks for your work in setting out them in great detail. Virgin: "Pull your corporate fingers out"

Am also aware of the length of time that there have been issues, having complained to Virgin several times around 12 months ago. Primarily, at that time, it was about the literally dozens of spam messages landing in my Inbox DAILY! They have been fewer in recent months, but it's still not good enough.

Finally, thanks for the link to the automated tool to move mail quickly. I'll give that a try. My reference to migrating wasn't quite correct. More accurately, it was more a reference to starting new correspondence on e.g. gmail.

Many thanks for your time.

Bazann

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are most welcome, Bazann.  Let us know how you get on with the move.

It is disappointing and most unfortunate that Virgin Media is not listening to customers like you who would like to give them every chance to deliver an email service which would suit your needs. 

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
bazann
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Wrock - Yes, as a customer of Virgin & previously NTL for almost 20 years, I only ask for an efficient and secure e-mail service. I was once told, by a Virgin representative, that customers don't pay for e-mail - of course we do! I don't even want superfast speeds and the now annual hike in prices despite any link to inflation! I was recently told my speed was now 70 Mbs. I appreciate that others will be more demanding than me. But, quite frankly, I think things were more efficient when speeds were in the range 6-10 Mbs [if you were lucky!

Cheers for now.

bazann

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No you don't pay for e-mail.

It's provided gratis as an additional benefit to having a broadband account.  Your contract states you pay for the following.

Broadband
TV
Phone Line.

Any other services are promotional extras, which can and do change according to Virgin's business needs.

Remember you used to have Webspace and Cloud storage at no extra cost too.  Virgin removed those earlier this year.  In theory they could do the same with e-mail although they are unlikely to any time soon IMHO.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos