Menu
Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Webmail - Query regarding use of Email Tools such as 'Rules' and 'Sort by'.

Today I opened Virgin Web Mail and found my Inbox had nearly 5000 messages dating back to around early 2011. So I decided to weed them all out. I use Apple’s Mail programme usually.

The very helpful "Statistics" button revealed at least 10 candidates for generating large number of my emails so firstly I thought I would set up a 'Rule' that would look for such correspondents and would delete any messages from them that are over, say, 60 days old, irrespective of whether on not they had been read. I could then run it and delete other stuff at my leisure. Problem is, I could not work out where in Virgin Web Mail the tools are to do this.  I've used them before so I know they are around somewhere. I've just forgotten where they are.

Okay, so next I went into my Inbox, selected ‘Sort by’ to arrange by ‘From’. I wanted to select all the correspondents that sent my huge numbers of emails and delete them 'en bloc' and deal with lesser offenders at my leisure.

However I found Virgin Web Mail doesn’t just sort by ‘From” as I expected it do, but it also continues to sub-sort by ‘Date’. Forcing me to select every other message and/or delete the one message at a time until my wrists ache. I notice that, although all appears fine at the top of the generated list, after having scrolled down a way or so, the list of correspondents begins to fragment. An extra criteria “Date" appears to be being used without being requested.

Top of list. Okay so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjyudi5ndisbtzm/Screenshot%202017-02-25%2018.04.31.pdf?dl=0

A few scrolls down. The list having been refreshed at least once.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyzwfgng2egvwdg/Screenshot%202017-02-25%2018.06.46.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuqil8r7h579x2u/Screenshot%202017-02-25%2018.02.41.pdf?dl=0

This is a real pain as it makes a fairly straight forward job more time consuming and difficult than it might have been.

It's possible that I am missing something.

Is there a 'magic' key combination to access the usual tools tsuch as ‘rules’?

Why, when asking ’Sort by From’ doesn’t it do just that? Is this a bug?

Just curious. I’ve now got my emails down from 4800 or so to 982. But would be nice to be able to tell it to delete stuff older than a certain date though.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Webmail - Query regarding use of Email Tools such as 'Rules' and 'Sort by'.

Hi Hoof_Hearted, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble sorting through your emails.

Unfortunately I am unable to see the screen shots as Dropbox is blocked by our corporate firewall, if possible can send them across in a different format. 

Where are you using in webmail and where are you using in Mac/ Apple mail? Just for clarity so we can investigate further. 

We have a test account and we can attempt to replicate the issue once we have more information. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Webmail - Query regarding use of Email Tools such as 'Rules' and 'Sort by'.

Emma_E wrote:

Hi Hoof_Hearted, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble sorting through your emails.

Unfortunately I am unable to see the screen shots as Dropbox is blocked by our corporate firewall, if possible can send them across in a different format. 

Where are you using in webmail and where are you using in Mac/ Apple mail? Just for clarity so we can investigate further. 

We have a test account and we can attempt to replicate the issue once we have more information. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

Hi

Sorry I could’t get back sooner.  I hope the attached help. I converted them from pdf to JPEG.All same togetherAll same togetherScroll down, screen refreshes now and then and starting to get mixed up again.Scroll down, screen refreshes now and then and starting to get mixed up again.

This happens with both Safari and FireFox.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoof_Hearted, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the screen shots supplied. I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner. 

I have tried to replicate the issue but have been unable to do so. 

When I tried in a Chrome browser it seems to sort ok and doesn't jumble when I scroll. 

What device are you using? Do you have the same issue on all devices? 

Keep me posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos