Menu
linzm76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Possibly Blocking Outgoing Emails

Hi

I have my own domain for my business and therefore use Outlook to send my emails from this domain, but via Virgin as my broadband provider.  This has worked for a long time, but I recently changed the verification password on my own domain account and my emails no longer send via Virgin.  This has been ongoing for some months, and here are some key points:

1.  When not connected via Virgin (i.e. when out and about and connected to other wifi) I can send emails from two laptops using Outlook and my iphone (from my own domain account).  When connected to Virgin (i.e. my home router) I cannot.  The error is:

Task xxxxx@gridconnectionconsulting.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

2.  Virgin say that the sending port is not blocked (SMPT port 25).

3.  It is possibly nothing to do with the password change, but the problem happened at the same time.  I don't see how it can be linked as the password is for my own domain provider, not Virgin.

I have tried everything and have been on the phone to Virgin a good few times (though they're not greatly helpful).  I would be so grateful if anyone had any idea what the problem might be.  I am not great at such IT issues, but have had someone more IT literate help me, but he couldn't solve the issue either.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Possibly Blocking Outgoing Emails

I'm going to quote Mr Spock here - just like Khan Noonien Singh, your posts indicate a pattern of two dimensional thinking lol.  However there are three parts to a connection.

Outbound from your PC
Routing between your PC and the destination.
Inbound to the destination.

We know Virgin aren't blocking the outbound.  They don't block any ports especially port 25 as their legacy servers still allow connections on it as well.
That you can ping the server shows that the destination is ok.
That I can connect from a different IP on a Virgin connection shows that it's not a general server fault.

There's one more test that will prove it beyond a doubt, but to be honest, in cases like these we've found that it's the e-mail host that is blocking your Virgin Media IP address.  You need to contact them and get them to remove the block.

If they try saying it's because your home IP is blacklisted, you need to persevere.  Blacklists are only used on the final leg of an emails journey, and it's not your home IP that's checked.

The final test BTW is to put your router into modem mode and connect a single device to port one and then try sending an email.  Modem mode will temporarily give you a different IP, although when you go back to router mode you'll get the old one back again.

If you want to switch to modem mode do the following.

Go to 192.168.0.1 and log in.
Click Modem Mode
Click the button to switch on Modem mode.
Connect a device Wired to port 1 - closest to the Co-axial cable
Reboot hub and device.

To get back to router mode use 192.168.100.1 to log into the hub.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Change the port to 465 and make sure that SSL and authentication is set. You will have to authenticate using your VM e-mail address and VM password. Re-post if that doesn't work

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
linzm76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If I authenticate using VM details I wont be able to send emails when not connected to Virgin? I never had to do this before and it has worked for over 1 year previously.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes you will. You may need to wait for further advice from others here.

Edit: Bit of advice in this thread too:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Setting-up-a-namesco-email-account-in-outlook/td-p/3221480

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
linzm76
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I had a wee look and I don't actually have a VM email and password. Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If you are a VM customer you do. The address and the password were given you when you joined.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

linzm76 wrote:
I had a wee look and I don't actually have a VM email and password. Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

You must do - Virgin's email system won't let you send without using a valid e-mail address and password when not on a Virgin IP address.  The fact is that your issue is happening in reverse to what I would expect if you didn't have a Virgin Email address and password.  

Remember that by VM email address we also mean the legacy domains

blueyonder.co.uk
ntlworld.com
virgin.net

As well as virginmedia.com

Lets go back to the beginning though - The error reported when on your home network is this:

Task xxxxx@gridconnectionconsulting.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server.

Which doesn't suggest a password error.  It suggests an error connecting to the server.  So Which specific server are you trying to connect to?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
linzm76
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I definitely don't have Virgin email address.  I am not using their email system, I am using my own domain, via outlook when connected to their broadband only.  I am pretty confused by the whole thing, as emails send when I am not at home and connected elsewhere.  Plus it has worked for over a year before it all went wrong.  I did get this off someone who I contacted to try and help.  Doesn't make too much sense to me to be honest.

Sent: Monday, 22 August 2016, 13:23
Subject: RE: Total Registrations Support Query

Good Afternoon

I've checked on the domain gridconnectionconsulting.co.uk and unfortunately this domain is on Extendnet's IPSTAG so they have registered this domain directly with Nominet (the .co.uk registry) rather than through ourselves.

I've done a bit of checking on the email side of the domain as that is what your query to extendnet was about and it looks like mail.gridconnectionconsulting. co.uk is pointing to the IP address 91.109.6.212. This IP resolves to a server belonging to Webfusion Internet Solutions which would be the host of your emails so they may be able to help you further with this.

Kind regards,

Domains Department

I really appreciate your help!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Now would you like to answer ravenstar68's question? Which SMTP server are you trying to connect to? You gave the very strong impression that you were using VM's SMTP server but if you are not we need to know which one it is. It's in your Outlook set up under servers.  And if it is not the VM server then VM is not blocking your mail and you need to look elsewhere for what might be happening. You can (as you say) simply use VM's network as the transmission pipeline for your traffic without going anywhere near their servers.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
linzm76
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Is it not mail.gridconnectionconsulting.co.uk as above?

0 Kudos