Menu
Peter46
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Mail possibly causing Firefox to crash when closing

I am using Firefox (latest version) on a Windows 7 desktop computer which is set to automatically install updates. Prior to closing down each evening I run Ccleaner to clear the cache etc. Before I can run the program I have to close all open files and the Firefox browser. The last Firefox window that I close down is Virgin Media Mail. Firefox takes ages to close and comes up with an automated crash report.

When I look at the processes page of Windows Task Manager, the memory (working set) column, on the Firefox line the number displayed, normally just over 1KB, instead of reducing increases to sometimes over a 1MB before eventually decreasing and closing. This is what probably generates the Firefox crash report. This happens on a regular basis. A Google search shows that others have had a similar problem with Firefox and none of the suggested fixes work for me.

Two days ago I tried an experiment. I opened up a blank browser tab alongside the Virgin Media Mail one. I then closed the Virgin Media Mail one waited a few minutes then closed the blank browser tab. Firefox closed down without any problem and did not generate a crash report.

Yesterday evening I repeated the experiment. Opening a blank browser window. Closing the Virgin Media Mail window first then the blank window. This time I did not wait before closing the blank window. This caused Firefox to delay in closing and generated a crash report. This time I used the option to restart Firefox. It opened up the Virgin Media Mail log in window not the blank browser page.

It would appear that the Virgin Media Mail web browser is the cause of Firefox crashing. The answer would appear to be for me to open a blank browser window. Close the Virgin Media Mail window wait a few minutes to allow Virgin Media Mail to close down before closing the blank window.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Mail possibly causing Firefox to crash when closing

This will not fully solve your problem, but why turn off your equipment every day put it in sleep/standby mode. This does not use any power and wakes up machine much quicker than a reboot. This will circumvent your problem. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Peter46
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tudor,
I have to close Firefox so that I can run CCleaner to clear cache and remove unwanted cookies. I take your point about putting my computer into sleep mode rather than shutting down.
0 Kudos
Peter46
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It was not Virgin Media that was causing the problem it was Firefox. I have now switched to Google Chrome. This thread can now be closed.

0 Kudos