Menu
PJMiller
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media/Go Daddy webspace offer

I just received a letter from Virgin Media about the forthcoming closure of Webspace on 28th April 2016.

The letter contained an offer of a new website free for 12 months from Go Daddy.  The link on the Virgin website took me to https://uk.godaddy.com/redemption , all very well except that the offer was bogus and Go Daddy didn't know anything about it, the site refused to accept the redemption code in the letter and the person on the live chat window said it wasn't a valid code and he didn't know of any offer from Virgin Media.

How many other people have had letters like this?  Did your code work or is this just a scam to get people to sign up for a Go Daddy website and fund it out of their own pocket?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media/Go Daddy webspace offer

The letter and the offer is genuine,  Although the bit about tools to help you transfer your site across to GoDaddy was a genuine error on Virgin's part.  There is no way of easliy importing your site into GoDaddy's Web Builder Package.

I'm going to flag this up to Virgin's Forum Team so they can assist.  I did get a letter and the code I got allowed me to sign up to get the following.

Domain name.

Web Builder Package

Offece 365 Email and productivity pack

All free for 12 months.

However after 12 months you do need to start paying.

Because of this I've recommended that those who want to keep their sites up take the deal solely to get the domain name free for 12 months.  You can take advantage of the Office 365 offer which gives you an email address for your domain but there is currently a free option with Zoho Mail, so you don't need this.

You can then host the web site with a free hosting provider. and point the domain at the hosting provider if you so choose.

At the end of 12 months the only thing you need to worry about keeping is the Domain name.  You can cancel the Web Builder and the Office 365 subscription.

The GoDaddy agents should be aware of the Virgin Media deal  but I suspect like most things, it's not been properly communicated to all of them.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The letter and the offer is genuine,  Although the bit about tools to help you transfer your site across to GoDaddy was a genuine error on Virgin's part.  There is no way of easliy importing your site into GoDaddy's Web Builder Package.

I'm going to flag this up to Virgin's Forum Team so they can assist.  I did get a letter and the code I got allowed me to sign up to get the following.

Domain name.

Web Builder Package

Offece 365 Email and productivity pack

All free for 12 months.

However after 12 months you do need to start paying.

Because of this I've recommended that those who want to keep their sites up take the deal solely to get the domain name free for 12 months.  You can take advantage of the Office 365 offer which gives you an email address for your domain but there is currently a free option with Zoho Mail, so you don't need this.

You can then host the web site with a free hosting provider. and point the domain at the hosting provider if you so choose.

At the end of 12 months the only thing you need to worry about keeping is the Domain name.  You can cancel the Web Builder and the Office 365 subscription.

The GoDaddy agents should be aware of the Virgin Media deal  but I suspect like most things, it's not been properly communicated to all of them.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
PJMiller
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The code in the letter from Virgin Media didn't work and came up on the Go Daddy system as an invalid code according to the person on the Live Chat.

0 Kudos
YveClark
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is a genuine offer. I had similar challenges so I rang 01256 752000 and spoke to the operator. She put me through to complaints who have sorted it out. I now have the package as advertised in the letter.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

PJMiller wrote:

The code in the letter from Virgin Media didn't work and came up on the Go Daddy system as an invalid code according to the person on the Live Chat.

Oddly enough one of the other Superusers also got an error when he entered his code.  May be a glitch on GoDaddy's system though as he shared the code with me (NOTE - I'M NOT ASKING FOR YOURS - JUST COMMENTING).  When I entered his code into the first stage, it was accepted.  I didn't go on to create an account though for obvious reasons.  Meaning he can still use his code if he wants.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi PJMiller,

Thanks for posting, apologies for the Problems with signing up for the GoDaddy offer, can you please try the offer by linking directly from our website https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/webspace-is-closing.html and then the link contained in the second question “Q: How do I get this offer?”

Let us know if this helps.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
pixel444
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, exactly the same happened to me. We've gone from rubbish free hosting to no free hosting. Awesome Virgin!

pixel444
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I did exactly this and it still didn't work.

Ralph_R wrote:

Hi PJMiller,

Thanks for posting, apologies for the Problems with signing up for the GoDaddy offer, can you please try the offer by linking directly from our website https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/webspace-is-closing.html and then the link contained in the second question “Q: How do I get this offer?”

Let us know if this helps.

Kind Rgds

While I'm on, I absolutely HATE the new webmail system.

PJMiller
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

At the weekend I rang Virgin Media customer services again, they were very little help.  Theytold me to ring a company called F-secure which is apparently the company which provides Virgin Media webspace.

F-secure were no help either, they wouldn't talk to me as I wasn't a customer of theirs, the customer was Virgin Media and they suggested that I get Virgin Media to ring them on my behalf.

Today  having seen the new posts on this forum I tried the code again from the website pointed to be the link provided here but this time it worked.  However it looks as though Go Daddy have ignored the special offer and charged my credit card anyway.

What a farce.

No doubt Virgin Media will blame Go Daddy and Go Daddy will blame Virgin Media, meanwhile I am about £70 down on a non existant special offer.

Well done Virgin!  Smiley Sad

Maggie99
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I had no problem using the code and setting up my domain but my letter said "12 months free hosting services" , I assumed that this meant free hosting but alas this does not seem to be the case. Again godaddy was no help.

Its now a case of finding a free host for my existing 100 family trees, any suggestions.

0 Kudos