Menu
Splodgie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media EMail

The Nightmare continues.   Despite all my efforts to get the email problem sorted out, with NO help from Vermin Media, IT,Second Line, Support team, the rubbish service continues.

I have been blamed for spamming email many times by VM, this has been going on for 6 months and all they do is lock my accounts even though I have proved it's not me, VM don't give a dam.

I have totally reinstalled 5 PC's from the ground up, Re-Flashed 3 Phone 1 Tablet even though none was infected, Changed Email clients, stopped all but 2 devices from sending mail, but it still continues. After months of bad service from VM, and changing passwords and security question on all email accounts dozens times.

I find out that the spammed account dose not belong to me, it was deleted months before this problem started, VM see that it was deleted but they still lock my accounts without notice (60+ times), I got them to remove it from the servers including the backup server, I was told the it had been done but they still lock my account quoting the reason is a account that I do not own,and dose not show up on their servers.

They link the none existing account to a secondary email address that I own despite it not having any thing to do with it, VM dose not give a dam.

Don't bother recommending any thing I can try as I have done it it all many times. VM cannot and will not help. as long as I pay my bill in full there happy.

Branson, the company you are a part of is useless and rotten to the core.

THE END.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media EMail

While I understand your frustration, I do feel that the thread title itself is bordering on abusive.

Certainly Virgin Media do need to take a look at what's going on here, and I'm going to ask that the  mods ask one of the Forum team jump on this thread for you.  I can see that you posted about this in April and actually got no reply from the Forum Team.

@ModTeam Can you raise this for the Forum Team's urgent attention?  If it is a deleted account causing the locking of your email - they should be able to sort this for you.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Splodgie,

I see where you are coming from and totally understand your frustration!

Just to say that this is no longer anything to do with Mr B and I would imagine that he wishes they would change the name from Virgin, so he was not associated with them in people's thought! This is an interesting read!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/liberty_global_sucked_soul_out_of_virgin/

However, I am interested in what you have said about the great lengths you have go to to ensure that none of your devices are at the cause of these problems. Virgin have spent months telling everybody who suffers from this problem (and there are many!!) that this issue is caused by their own poor security. Well Virgin, kindly explain how that theory works in this case? Good luck with that project!!

The problem is and always has been, at the Virgin end of things!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just so you are aware - Mr Branson has NEVER owned Virgin Media.

What happened was that NTL/Telewest bought Virgin Mobile off him, and at the same time agreed a licensing deal for the use of the Virgin brand.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I see you have an iPhone, so you can get Apple (iCloud) Mail. Much better than VM. 

I like your name for it, but how about Vermin Mess eMail.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Splodgie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Your dislike of my post and wording is 100% more effort than anything VM has done to help sort out their problem.

I have spent well over 40HRS on the phone talking to VM. It has been escalated many times to IT security and others. Response ZIP.

I looked in to all the bounce backs to the unrelated email address. Several weeks ago I spotted a email address in the spam returned to me that was very interesting, It was a email address I created many years ago, it was never ever used and was deleted shortly after being created, the address was very creative in the way it was worded ie:unique I may say. I decided to find out when this email was last held by me in any form ie: as a account, stored by me in a document, or held in a encrypted PGP2.6B data file as I do with all sensitive information .  This information has not been on any computer I have owned for over 10 YEARS in any form ( I still have all the PC computers I have ever owned going back to AMD K6 2 450, still sitting in my loft along with its hard drive back up.

The only place this information is currently held is on NTL/VM/Google email servers, I wonder who and how someone got hold of this information?, It could have some thing to do with VM security methods, like 90% on scams regarding PC cons coming from India, I wonder who uses there services or has access to VM servers based there.

malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Interesting!

I can't help but think that at least some of the more enlightened staff members on the Virgin Media payroll, must realise that the root of all these issues is somewhere at their end of things - but the corporate policy on all this is deny, deny, deny!

0 Kudos
Splodgie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Received a Phone call from VM @ 12:30pm to say the affected link has been removed and it should be the end to my problems, I thanked them for there efforts and what they have done for me,(it only took 6 months).

At 2:30pm I received 12 spam bounce backs to the not linked account I have, from the account they say has been removed?. 

For your attention, The WINNING numbers for Euro Millions are  05-09-47-49-50  Bonus numbers 08-09 there 100% guarantee winners. (for last week).  about just as usefull.

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello Splodgie,

Here are my suggestions:

1)  Send an email to the address which is said to have been deleted to confirm that it really has been.  There have been a number of cases recently where addresses which the former owner thought had been deleted were still open and some portion of these accounts have been hijacked by spammers.   If the email address has been properly and completely closed, you should receive an automated response within a few minutes and it will contain the text "recipient rejected (unknown mailbox)". 

2) Please look at some of the recent spam bouncebacks to identify the subject lines of these messages.  Let us know what the subjects are please. I think you are likely to find that they are similar to those in this list in Table 2,

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2015/09/email-sent-under-my-name-not-from-me.html

If so, I believe that you are one of several hundreds of Virgin Media account holders who have found that one of their email addresses has been hacked, by which I mean, someone other than you has been able to log into the account without your permission or knowledge, and while there, spammers have stolen all of the email addresses present in the account.  Next they store this list of email addresses and the associated display names and periodically use the list every few weeks as recipients for spoofed messages sent with your from address fraudulently attached.  If so, you should find that if you log into Virgin Media's web mail account and search for the unique old address which has not been on your computer for ten years, that the address exists in the web mail account.

There are currently about 603 known cases of this problem at Virgin Media since August 2015.  Many who have been suffering this extremely disruptive and outrageous issue find that Virgin Media repeatedly locks their account/s.  Next time your account is locked, ask for the date, time and IP address of the unauthorized access that Virgin Media has detected.  It is possible that each episode of locking is Virgin Media detecting someone who is not you logging into the account.  If Virgin Media will not, or says they are unable to, provide the date, time and IP address information, solve the problem yourself by moving your email operations to a new free email account at Google and turn on two-step verification.

Deletion of the account does not stop the spoofing.  Virgin Media staff are poorly informed around this issue, and the call center frequently provides inaccurate information.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Splodgie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for showing you care and advice.

1..I can still send emails to the to the bad/deleted account that's causing the trouble, they do not get sent back saying there is no such account.

2..I I try to log into the account,saying I forgot the password it says, Unable to find your username.

3..All password and security questions have been changed many times, The only email accounts that are now listed to me are ones that are valid, all old email addresses ever created by me have been deleted and links removed (So VM Says).

4..I still keep getting bounce backs to the unrelated account that is not the spam sender.

5.. Since VM 'IT' says the problem has been dealt with I have received 119 bounce backs, And one letter saying the bad/deleted account is still sending Spam?.

6.. As information that is included in the spam is only held on VM/NTL/Google servers (google had the email servers for VM for several years as you know) It can only be some one with access to there servers, so mush so for their security they claim to have in-place.

7.. Google are the biggest dater holders of your information in the world (even without your permission).

0 Kudos