Menu
beams
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM email via Chrome: many missing emails

I'm using Google Chrome to view my emails on both my Macbook and mobile. When I view my Inbox, there are three messages from today and the next ones in the list are from Sept 2015. There should be several more form today and probably hundreds from the last nine months.

I am sorting by Date and Descending but it is the same issue regardless of what Sort options I choose.  I can't find any filter options; am I missing something?

Many of the email messages showing up are from a property management company; the three messages from today and the next email, from Sept 2015, are from this one company. Everything else has disappeared.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding filtering or any other potential causes?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM email via Chrome: many missing emails

The emerging common factor from a number of posts on this issue is -- iPHONE!!

There has been an interesting (and relatively impartial) discussion on the subject on the Google site dating from last September (when version 9.0 of iOS was released) right up to date.

See this -

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/W_2608VZwWs

The common symptom is that lots of emails disappear after an iphone software upgrade to 9.0/1/2/3. There are several hundred unamused gmail posters on the above site.

What version of IOS is on your phone and when did you upgrade to it?

I don't find Apple's Support site particularly easy to navigate because putting “deleted email inbox “ into the search box produces 649 pages of results (indicative of problem scale?). Apple's version of events seem to be – user error. Here is a typical response to a “deleted emails” post -

Here are some possible reasons why this might happen.

1. Junk filtering, or a Mail rule that you created, is deleting the messages.

2. Mail is being deleted on another device that synchronizes with the same IMAP or Exchange account. The account may be accessed using both the IMAP and POP protocols, which could happen with some mail servers. POP access could cause mail to be deleted from the inbox. Make sure that no other mail client is set up to access the account with POP.

3. Someone else has access to the account and is deleting messages.

4. Mail is being redirected or filtered on the server. For instance, there are settings in the Mail web application on icloud.com to forward incoming mail and delete it after forwarding. If you've ruled out #1 and you have control over such behavior on the server, disable it and see whether there's a change.

5. Some mail servers have a setting to delete mail automatically under certain conditions. You would access that setting through the server's web interface, not through Mail.

6. In the settings for the IMAP account in Mail, the field labeled IMAP Path Prefix in theAdvanced tab should be left blank unless a server administrator tells you otherwise.

7. You installed a third-party "plugin," such as "MailButler," that changes the behavior of Mail. Remove the plugin(s) according to the developers' instructions and test. If testing shows that a plugin is causing the problem, but you still want to use it, refer to its developer for support or an update.”

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 4:57 PM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7538452?language=en

I am not optimistic.

beams
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm using an Android phone, a Nexus 5.

It seems odd that viewing emails in a web browser could result in a sizeable chunk of email messages being removed.  It seemed more plausible to me the issue is with VM.

Yesterday, when the issue occurred, I was using my laptop rather than my phone for viewing my emails.  My Gmail and Hotmail emails messages are all fine.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I assume you have checked all other webmail folders, particularly Trash, in case they have been moved somehow.

As far as I can tell, yours is the first, recent, non-iPhone version of the disappearing emails. As you have a good idea of the precise date and time this happened, VM may be persuaded to examine the relevant server logs for any clues as to what might have happened. You'll probably have to wait for them to pick this thread up to progress in that direction.  

0 Kudos
beams
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have just noticed all my emails in the Sent folder between Sept 2014 and August 2015 are also missing.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi beams,

Apologies for your missing emails. May I ask if you've checked the Spam folders in webmail? Actually all folders should be closely scrutinised.

Other potential causes of missing emails are:

• Someone else has access and has removed them.
  • The emails have been removed via client when set up as IMAP.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
beams
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I'm the only person with my password and it is an alphanumeric mix with a combination of upper and lower case characters.  No-one else has access to it.

Inbox is missing all email message between 23 September 2015 and 23 June 2016.

As for the other folders, my Bin etc all have emails missing for significant periods of time. The bin has one email between 19 December 2015 and 23 June 2016; one message on the 5 June 2016. Spam is empty because I regularly look at what has been put in there and empty it if it only contains spam.

Sent Items has nothing between 29 September 2014 and 18 August 2015.

These are large periods of time and a large number of emails that have disappeared. However, I haven't done any housekeeping on any of these folders.

Thanks,

Franz.

0 Kudos
beams
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Jen,

I responded to your PM on Monday but haven't heard anything back as yet.

In response to your questions:

1. The time period of missing emails...

Inbox: 23.09.2015 - 23.06.2016

Sent: 29.09.2014 - 18.08.2015

2. Folders affected

Inbox and Sent

3. Example of an email that is missing

Emails from webteam@virginmedia.com titled 'Your Virgin Media bill is ready' usually received around 24th to 28th of each month.

I have checked ever folder and subfolder with no success.  No-one else has my password which is alphanumeric and contains a combination of upper and lower case characters mixed with numbers.

I hope to hear back from you.

0 Kudos
beams
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Three months on and Virgin Media have said that, if you find a bulk of email messages disappear from your email folders, it is your fault and they will/can not restore them.  Even if you have not deleted them and you believe the issue has been caused by Virgin Media. Thank you Virgin Media for being so incompetent.

Inbox messages deleted between 23 September 2015 and 23 June 2016 and Virgin Media think I have somehow managed to delete exactly 9 months of emails.  I have lost faith in Virgin Media being able to store my data safely and securely.

0 Kudos