Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 49 (428 Views)

VM e-mail unreliable

I have been a VM customer for many years and, of course, have had regular broadband problems as I'm sure most of you have.  "Sorry for the fault. Our engineers are working on it... etc."  My e-mail address ends '@ntlworld.com', which I think illustrates the length of time I have been with VM.

It usually takes several clicks to access the VM e-mail page, including two entries of username and password.  I have become used to that.  However today, although I could connect to internet pages, e-mail was not accessible: "This site cannot be reached", followed by a grey screen with flashing 'blobs' and remained so for some time so I telephoned VM.

20 minutes of inane 'music' and then a human answered.  After a further 30 minutes of discussion and questions, including re-starting DHCP Client (which was already running), I was advised that "This is a Windows 10 problem".  That's right, if in doubt blame Windows 10!

VM e-mail did come back soon afterwards.

Several weeks ago, I took the precaution of opening a G-mail account which, fortunately, has never failed.  What a shame that VM cannot match its reliability.

VM recently proudly announced that they were increasing my BB speed.  Personally, I'd be happy to sacrifice half of that speed in return for a reliable service.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

Have you discovered a method of overcoming the unreliability?

Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 49 (400 Views)

Re: VM e-mail unreliable

JBRJBR wrote:

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

Yes, judging from the number of similar posts.

Have you discovered a method of overcoming the unreliability?

Use an email client or find an email provider (independent of any ISP).

Dialled in
Message 3 of 49 (376 Views)

Thanks for your response.

Yes, if VM cannot provide a reliable e-mail service, the only realistic option is to use a third party application.  If nothing improves (and I doubt that it will) I shall have to advise all my contacts to use my G-mail address.

The next step will be to look for a more reliable broadband supplier.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 49 (361 Views)

Hi,

Virgin Mail really poor.  Was down yesterday afternoon for about 20 mins.  Is down again now (about 11.00 am) for last 20 mins (checked 2 devices).

Is regularly clunky. Several, varying error screens before you can sign  in.  Quite often difficulties in replying to emails - have to close/re-open Virgin email connection before I get a proper rather than a faded email reply page.

Has no proper search facility for searching back emails.

I use Microsoft Live/Outlook (not the prog)  as a back-up, and that opens now, but doesn't seem to have picked up emails for last 2 hours - so presumably Virgin email server is causing problems.

Only reason I haven't switched to another email client is the considerable effort involved - although it looks like there will be no choice.

Has anyone experience of making switch?  (VM really should be ashamed of its email service).

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 49 (333 Views)

"Virgin Mail really poor.  Was down yesterday afternoon for about 20 mins.  Is down again now (about 11.00 am) for last 20 mins (checked 2 devices).

Is regularly clunky. Several, varying error screens before you can sign  in.  Quite often difficulties in replying to emails - have to close/re-open Virgin email connection before I get a proper rather than a faded email reply page."

Thank you for that.  It describes my problems almost exactly.

Not being funny, but it is a relief to find that others have the same problems.  I wondered whether it was just me.

The other worrying thing is that the 'expert' I spoke to on the telephone (in India, presumably) assured me that my problems were caused because I am using Windows 10!  I have, today, written a letter of complaint to VM, detailing all of this.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 49 (327 Views)

After writing above, contacted VM help, and they deleted my Chrome browser history , wh. restored connection to Vmail. So this downtime today may be due to that. But regular clunkiness described is unquestionable. And why should browser history cause probs anyway?

I am thinking of switching to MS Outlook [the prog]. wh. I had already installed anyway. One advantage of this is that it does seem, via IMAP, to have all my existing sub folders on VMail with contents, so perhaps the switchover can be relatively easy if not seamless.

The biz of having probs replying to emails in VMail is v. worrying, and can interrupt real biz. when it's financially important that I reply asap.

All comments/advice welcome

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 49 (298 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've been waiting for 10 minutes this morning for the software to open.  It will still not open.  I have tried going to the VM main web page and clicking 'e-mail' to no avail.  This is just not acceptable.

I'll have to use G-mail from now on; VM mail is just too unreliable.

I think it is appalling that this company cannot, or will not, do anything about what we pay for.  Telephoning their 'help line' achieves nothing, as I have found out.  I wonder whether a letter to OFCOM might stir them up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 49 (290 Views)

you could never use ANY ISP email. If you want to keep a email address without being locked into a ISP go for something free or pay for your own email.

Gmail and Outlook.com are good options. I'd avoid yahoo after all the hacks.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 49 (253 Views)

I too have the same problems with e-mail - it's been going on for months. All kinds of explanations have been given when I telephone the support line but none of them are correct. There's a big problem within Virginmedia which they won't admit to.

Joining in
Message 10 of 49 (139 Views)

It has been unreliable for months but I could put up with it.

But just lately (last week or two) it is appalling. Sometime unable to get email for hours on end. Last week I was unable to get email to come up for over 24 hours. This is a serious issue with my business much of which is conducted via email.

How can it be getting worse?

Will someone from Virgin Media come on here and tell us what is going on?