Menu
JBRJBR
Dialled in
Message 21 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM e-mail unreliable

Howard, I'm not sure where to find that 'other thread', but if an explanation for the continued unreliability is offered there I'd be very interested to read it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 49
Flag for a moderator

@JBRJBR Don't worry. You've had all the explanations here you need but I will clarify and summarise for you. The web mail system is clearly dysfunctional in the extreme. But the fault is intermittent for customers. We have been told by VM that they are working on it but not solved so far (as you know). We hope they will find a solution asap. We are pressing them hard. I'm not sure they know what the system issue actually is. It is frustrating in the extreme, even for us Superusers.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
JBRJBR
Dialled in
Message 23 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard.

Whenever I contact VM about the very many problems I have had over the years, I am assured that 'they are working on it'.

As it happens, I must admit that those statements are perfectly true.  They do invariably sort out the problem, sometimes even the same day.

And then another one pops up a few days later!

The other niggle is that their 'experts', at least the ones in the Indian call centre, come across as incompetent.  The latest one, as I said earlier, assured me that my e-mail problems were down to the fact that I run Windows 10.  :roll eyes:

Admittedly, many years ago I had another problem, though I don't remember exactly what it was now.  A nice lady in India offered to take command of my computer, to which I stupidly agreed, and promptly deleted my account and lost all of the e-mails I had.  I was then passed to the much more able Scottish agents who spent several hours - literally - assisting me in recovering the received mails.

All of my sent mails, however, were irretrievably lost.

I assure you that as soon as a reasonable fast internet provider comes along, I shall be off.  No-one, not even Talk Talk can be as incompetent and unreliable as Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 49
Flag for a moderator

JBRJBR wrote:

Thanks Howard.

Whenever I contact VM about the very many problems I have had over the years, I am assured that 'they are working on it'.

As it happens, I must admit that those statements are perfectly true.  They do invariably sort out the problem, sometimes even the same day.

And then another one pops up a few days later!

The other niggle is that their 'experts', at least the ones in the Indian call centre, come across as incompetent.  The latest one, as I said earlier, assured me that my e-mail problems were down to the fact that I run Windows 10.  :roll eyes:

The off-shore call centres are script kiddies. If you get them hang up and come to the Forum instead. Much more expertise here.

Admittedly, many years ago I had another problem, though I don't remember exactly what it was now.  A nice lady in India offered to take command of my computer, to which I stupidly agreed, and promptly deleted my account and lost all of the e-mails I had.  I was then passed to the much more able Scottish agents who spent several hours - literally - assisting me in recovering the received mails.

All of my sent mails, however, were irretrievably lost.

I assure you that as soon as a reasonable fast internet provider comes along, I shall be off.  No-one, not even Talk Talk can be as incompetent and unreliable as Virgin Media.

Oh yes they can be!  I can assure you of that. At the current rate of progress with the BT Openreach network (last mile) you'll wait until eternity for for equivalent speeds.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely no need to sacrifice your VM Broadband connection to change your email provider.

Just set up a free address with MS Outlook or Gmail (others available) or buy your own domain name with a hosted email service.
JBRJBR
Dialled in
Message 26 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Look back and you'll see that I do use G-mail now in preference to VM!

The VM e-mail page will not load this morning either.  Absolutely hopeless.

However, my long term problems are not restricted to e-mail.  I mentioned e-mail because that is what this thread is about.  I have had many, many other problems with this company.

I grant you that VM's fibre service is faster than anything else but, as I have said, reliability is more important to me than just speed.

Howard has assured me that other broadband suppliers are not without sin, and I can understand that.  Can you, Howard, or anyone else recommend a supplier who can offer the most reliable service in their experience?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Well I can offer a view but never a recommendation. I have had services from VM and its predecessor companies for over 30 years at this address. Virtually faultless. I have seen BT, Sky and TT broadband in action for short periods when visiting friends. They seem to work well. You choose.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 49
Flag for a moderator

I can only go by my experience.  I have had cable broadband from Telewest/Virgin Media for 16 years and it has been thoroughly reliable in that time.  I have no experience of any other broadband provider.

yonder
Tuning in
Message 29 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Where are you? I'm a long-term customer in NW3.  VM can be v.g. - v. fast and even at times v.g. service - but I've had lots of v. inconvenient, extended breakdowns of broadband service over the years - count myself v. lucky if I go a year without one. And VMail has been consistently clunky, substandard - poor, in fact. 

0 Kudos
JBRJBR
Dialled in
Message 30 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Yonder.

I am in Cheadle, Cheshire, to the south-west of Stockport.

I agree that VM  is very fast, certainly compared to other suppliers, but my experiences seem to be worse than yours: I have yet to go more than six months without some sort of problem.  VM mail has been unavailable all day today, most of yesterday, and a further four days earlier this month.  As I said, I have now given up on them and use G-mail in preference.  Hardly a recommendation for VM.

0 Kudos