Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 86
  • 2
  • 9
SH3user
Dialled in
378 Views
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

VirginMedia@decipherinc.com <invite@decipherinc.com>Virgin Media – Your opinion mattersWe are conducting a survey on behalf of Virgin Media. We would really appreciate it if you could spend 20 minutes completing this survey to help review the Virgin Media offering so we can look to ensure it is meeting the needs of customers. To say thank you for completing the survey you will be entered into a prize draw to win an iPad(for terms and conditions please click here). PLEASE CLICK HERE TO START THE SURVEY The survey is being managed by an independent research agency called Boxclever in line with the Market Research Society code of conduct. All responses will remain confidential. If you have any queries regarding this survey, technical issues or wish to check the validity of the research then please email virginmedia@boxcleverconsulting.com. Please complete the survey in full by the end of 23rd October 2017. Thank you in advance for taking part. Yours sincerely,

 

Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 21.61K
  • 772
  • 3.09K
Superuser
Superuser
345 Views
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

i see no evidence there that vm passed any details on. if they emailed a virgin media email address they only know you are with VM. they could of gotten the email from anywhere
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Berisford
Tuning in
323 Views
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

Someone somewhere is passing Virgin email addresses, my inbox on all my VM accounts everyday gets some spam. Why can't Virgin filter it out as other providers do?

Perhaps the ultimate aim of VM is to be rid of the email service and are letting all this crap through to p*ss customers off?

Well, it's working here, I'm gradually reducing the number of organisations that I have VM addresses with, I'll soon be able, after more than 15 years, to say goodbye to VM and the poor email service.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.51K
  • 202
  • 981
Sololobo
Wise owl
314 Views
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.


SH3user wrote:

VirginMedia@decipherinc.com <invite@decipherinc.com>Virgin Media – Your opinion mattersWe are conducting a survey on behalf of Virgin Media. We would really appreciate it if you could spend 20 minutes completing this survey to help review the Virgin Media offering so we can look to ensure it is meeting the needs of customers. To say thank you for completing the survey you will be entered into a prize draw to win an iPad(for terms and conditions please click here). PLEASE CLICK HERE TO START THE SURVEY The survey is being managed by an independent research agency called Boxclever in line with the Market Research Society code of conduct. All responses will remain confidential. If you have any queries regarding this survey, technical issues or wish to check the validity of the research then please email virginmedia@boxcleverconsulting.com. Please complete the survey in full by the end of 23rd October 2017. Thank you in advance for taking part. Yours sincerely,

 

Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.


The content seems to be very similar to that of a fraudulent "pop-up" survey as noted here in 2015: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Fraudulent-Surveys/m-p/2848898

On completion of the survey are you asked for financial details to cover the cost of post and packing for delivery of the supposed prize of an iPad?

Surely Virgin Media themselves are the ones to confirm the validity of this survey, not another outside marketing company such as Boxclever?

You are under no obligation to participate in any survey, let alone one which is using questionable methods.

Unless you really believe there is such a thing as a free lunch do not respond and delete the email.




It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 13.62K
  • 720
  • 4.71K
Superuser
Superuser
289 Views
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

I'm going to raise this to the @ModTeam to see if they can confirm whether the Survey is authentic.  My gut response is that it may not be.

Being as it's a Sunday we're not going to see a response today though.

Tim

________________________________________


Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

  • 86
  • 2
  • 9
SH3user
Dialled in
263 Views
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

I know it is spam and I highlighted to it VM it as contained a little more correct info than most of the junk I get. Getting 'You have a surprise from Costa Coffee' spam now. Reported. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 270
  • 36
  • 125
coenoby
Fibre optic
227 Views
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.


SH3user wrote:

I know it is spam and I highlighted to it VM it as contained a little more correct info than most of the junk I get.


I received one of these emails last week and I agree that it looks and smells like a scam.

However, two comments:

1) It come to my primary VM email address and I do not use that for anything other than communication with VM. If it is a spam/scam email it is the only one that my ntlworld account has ever had. Make of that what you will.

2) It does look identical to this one from 2 years ago, Email/Is-this-a-phishing-mail-or-genuine and at the time the forum team advised that one was genuine. However, that does not mean this one is of course.

Interesting to see what the official response is this time but whatever it is, I have no intention of 'completing the survey'.

coenoby

 

*******************************
If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.52K
  • 140
  • 341
Moderator
Moderator
203 Views
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

Hi all,

Thanks for the mention @ravenstar68

I've had this checked and can confirm that this is indeed a legitimate surveySmiley Happy

Hope this clears things up.

Take care

 

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 21.61K
  • 772
  • 3.09K
Superuser
Superuser
199 Views
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.

then the next question then is how did they get the Ops email address?
  • 270
  • 36
  • 125
coenoby
Fibre optic
180 Views
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Spam Why are VM passing my details to a 3rd party. Please stop.


apcyberax wrote:
then the next question then is how did they get the Ops email address?

Er.......let's think about that for a second.

The email says "We are conducting a survey on behalf of Virgin Media." and a Forum Moderator has said they "can confirm that this is indeed a legitimate survey".

The answer is obvious isn't it? Or have I missed something?

Surely the real question to ask is how can VM customers opt out of allowing VM to share their contact details with third parties?

coenoby

 

 

*******************************
If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Reply