Menu
alk630
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM Online security advisory letters

With regards to the thousands of letters recently sent out by VM, regarding online security risks, advising users to take action due to the possibility of accounts sending spam.... would it be possible to have a technical person analyse at least some of them to understand what exactly is happening? I have kept my last letter with the reference number: VMIS42-F004562001. It would be most helpful if information could be posted to allow users to be more proactive in preventing future problems.

It would be interesting to know where the accounts are being accessed from and what method is being used to send the spam which VM are suggesting.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Online security advisory letters

Hi alk630, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to see you have had trouble with your emails. 

The fault reference given is just to advise that there has been an instance of spam being sent from your Virgin media emails account. We don't get much more information than that unfortunately. 

Take a look at What do I do if I think my email account has been accessed by someone else? for information on how to keep your account more secure. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Another laughable reply from Emma_K. Do they really pay you to write that rubbish?

In reply to your last paragraph and "information on how to keep your account more secure" - might I suggest the answer is not to let Virgin Media anywhere near you email account. That would probably do the job!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi malsiluk, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. Unfortunately we don't have any more information to give than has already been given in this instance. 

Apologies that I do not have more to advise at this time. We do take the security of  all our customer details very seriously. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emma,

Thank you for your reply.

If you don't have any more information about these thousands of suspected 'email sending spam' incidents, how can you be so sure it has happened?

If you (and by 'you' I mean VM) are so sure somebody's mailbox has been sending out spam, you surely must have some proof of the fact? How else do they decide to issue a letter? Guesswork?

0 Kudos
misterdog
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I received 2 such letters last month.

1-  Arrived 13/7  Send date 20/6  !!!   ref no. ending 4530562

2 - Arrived 15/7  Send date 29/6 !!!!   ref no. ending 4561004

So the send dates were 9 days apart, yet the receive dates  2 days apart (a Royal Mail problem I suspect LOL given everything is someone else's fault according to VM ).

So lets look at the reference numbers, I have to assume that each letter has a reference advance of 1.

The difference between the 2 letters, numbers  30,442 and assuming that the 'posted' dates of 9 days is correct that equates to  3,382 letters sent per day for customers to change their passwords again, again, again, again, again.

When this FARCE first occurred we were told that just a few accounts  had suffered.

I have just received notice from my bank that several attempts have been made to access my account using the wrong password. Where are my account details....oh in the email system  which VM take such care of...

So Emma when you tell us you have only limited information, we take that to mean only limited information that you are prepared to pass on.

You know the scale of this problem.

You probably know the cause of it.

By the way how is the legal action in which VM is mentioned many times progressing in California ? 

Please call back and let us know how you get on......

0 Kudos
alk630
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to pass the reference numbers on to the security team as was the case in the following two posts please?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Letter-from-VM-quot-your-online-security-is-at-...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Spam-Letter-From-Virgin/m-p/2959811/highlight/t...

It would be helpful to provide further information about the date, time and IP address for the connection/s which were sending spam since I have been unable to determine how my account was accessed.

I would also like to see us get one step further though and know more about why there is the need to lock accounts, especially the cases which are locked repeatedly....

0 Kudos
alk630
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Edit: I have thoroughly searched all the computers and devices which access this account, have not found any malware, viruses or keyloggers, and did not have a password which contained any dictionary words.

0 Kudos
pigzmickey
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Three letters can solve the whole issue "VPN", then Virgin have no way of spying on your activity.

0 Kudos