Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3 (347 Views)

VM Email Settings Change

I see from Sofa Bear's post that the email server settings have been changed from last Thursday (16th March). I had to leave Virgin Media as a customer when I moved to an area where Virgin broadband was not supported. I continued to use Virgin Media as my incoming email server, accessed via Outlook, (but used my work's email server for outgoing emails). Since the changes last Thursday I have been unable to access my incoming emails. Before I switch to Google mail and finally cease to use Virgin Media, could someone just confirm that the changes to the email server settings have resulted in removing old email accounts to prevent former Virgin Media customers from continuing to use them as an ISP?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 3 (682 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AHill14
‎20-03-2017 13:34

Re: VM Email Settings Change

You read the article entirely wrongly. It specifically says that the existing settings will continue to work for sometime. But you are right. VM have finally caught up with you and ended your e-mail access which is reserved only for people with paid for VM BB accounts.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Highlighted
Superuser
Message 3 of 3 (663 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AHill14
‎20-03-2017 13:44

[ Edited ]

Lets - deal with your question in stages.

1. Although Virgin Media are changing the recommended server settings, the old one's are currently still in play, Virgin Media are recommending people change over as soon as possible as they will at some point turn the old servers off.  Additionally, some people are still using some very old pre-2010 settings which mean that they do not use SSL/TLS when picking up mail via POP3/IMAP or when sending via SMTP, which is another reason to try and get people to update their settings.
  2. Please don't confuse ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ESP (Email Service Provider), by moving out of a Virgin Media area, you already stopped using Virgin Media as an ISP, your right to use Virgin Media as an ESP should have also stopped 90 days after your Virgin Media account closed down.  Virgin have been lax in closing down existing accounts but do have periodic purges.
  3. Superuser's like myself have noticed an upsurge in account related issues, particularly on NTLWorld accounts, so it does look as if Virgin Media are having another purge of orphaned accounts, please note that this is speculation on my part as I do not work for Virgin Media.

The Forum Team will get to this post although it can take them 7 days or more to respond (they do try to get here sooner if they can).  So they will be able to answer definitively if your email account is indeed such an account.

Yours

Tim

PS If you were using the correct post-2010 settings for your email, you would have still been able to use Virgin Media's SMTP servers, even from a non-VM connection.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 3 (683 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AHill14
‎20-03-2017 13:34

You read the article entirely wrongly. It specifically says that the existing settings will continue to work for sometime. But you are right. VM have finally caught up with you and ended your e-mail access which is reserved only for people with paid for VM BB accounts.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 3 of 3 (664 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AHill14
‎20-03-2017 13:44

[ Edited ]

Lets - deal with your question in stages.

1. Although Virgin Media are changing the recommended server settings, the old one's are currently still in play, Virgin Media are recommending people change over as soon as possible as they will at some point turn the old servers off.  Additionally, some people are still using some very old pre-2010 settings which mean that they do not use SSL/TLS when picking up mail via POP3/IMAP or when sending via SMTP, which is another reason to try and get people to update their settings.
  2. Please don't confuse ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ESP (Email Service Provider), by moving out of a Virgin Media area, you already stopped using Virgin Media as an ISP, your right to use Virgin Media as an ESP should have also stopped 90 days after your Virgin Media account closed down.  Virgin have been lax in closing down existing accounts but do have periodic purges.
  3. Superuser's like myself have noticed an upsurge in account related issues, particularly on NTLWorld accounts, so it does look as if Virgin Media are having another purge of orphaned accounts, please note that this is speculation on my part as I do not work for Virgin Media.

The Forum Team will get to this post although it can take them 7 days or more to respond (they do try to get here sooner if they can).  So they will be able to answer definitively if your email account is indeed such an account.

Yours

Tim

PS If you were using the correct post-2010 settings for your email, you would have still been able to use Virgin Media's SMTP servers, even from a non-VM connection.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos