Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Crispinf

Using Email overseas

Hi

I am currently on a trip to China with my trusty little Netbook.

No problem receiving my ntlworld email, but I can't send anything using my normal Outlook settings.

Do I need to use a different outgoing server or other settings?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
gump316

Re: Using Email overseas

You'll be able to send through ntlworld's SMTP server only if you're connecting to the Internet with Virgin Media (and hence picking up a suitable IP address). As you won't be connecting to VM while you're in China, you won't be able to send mail through Outlook.

Your best bet for now is to use Web mail to send messages while you're away from home:

http://webmail.ntlworld.com/

When your mail account is migrated to the Google platform (probably next year), you'll be able to use authenticated SMTP, which means that you will be able to send mail via Outlook regardless of your Internet connection method.

John

--
I have previously worked for one of Virgin Media's partners.
My personal site: http://espirian.co.uk/
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Crispinf

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
henrym

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying (when I enquired previously, the support staff could not explain why I couldn't send emails on my travels, via WiFi or dongle, in Scotland and Spain.)

However, the reason for using Outlook is to have a unified email system, with the capability of synchronising the messages on laptop and desktop, and maintaining a complete record.  Messages are soon deleted from Web-mail, by the 'system' rather than user.  The necessity to use web-mail to send messages when away from home is messy - a copy of the message sent has to be to myself, so sent messages end up in the Inbox.  Please expedite sorting out this bug so that emails can be sent from Outlook when away from home.

cheers

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

It's not a bug. It done to stop Spammers using Virgin's e-mail servers. Most other ISPs operate similar restrictions (or don't run SMTP servers or e-mail in the first place)

At the moment you can use Outlook as long as you can find out what SMTP server the network you are connecting to uses.

As a made up example, if you were on a 'smith' connection in Germany you could use smtp.smith.de to sent messages through Outlook

However I think that once the Google migration is complete it might allow use of the SMTP server abroad - as it will an authenticated SMTP solution

Don't hold me to that though

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
AlexBrown

However I think that once the Google migration is complete it might allow use of the SMTP server abroad - as it will an authenticated SMTP solution

Don't hold me to that though

It will, but of course that won't help if the ISP oveseas blocks or throttles the traffic.  The situation described is crying out for use of webmail, where it makes sense to unify things onto.

Alex

Alex Brown
Head of Broadband Product Experience, Virgin Media

Tweet us: @virginmedia
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
henrym

except that webmail is useless with puny 30 Mb mailboxes!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

henrym wrote:

except that webmail is useless with puny 30 Mb mailboxes!

Which will be fixed once the Google Migration completes and you'll be given 7GB instead :smileywink:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/1_yoursettings.php#6558

Your storage limit

Virgin Media Mail offers more than 7 GB of free storage for your messages and attachments, and we're adding more space as fast as we can.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
SteveLb00

So what do you do if you cannot access webmail either ?????

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

SteveLb00 wrote:

So what do you do if you cannot access webmail either ?????

Why would you not be access webmail? If you can get to a browser you can get webmail

Please use plain text.