Menu
Globecodds
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Undeliverable Spam Mail Again

Yet again have I have been getting the undeliverable ? rejected emails to my inbox, mail that I haven't sent, I have followed the steps in the "Spoofing" pinned post but still they come. Have also changed my password, scanned my phone for infections, I dont have email on my PC.

Any Ideas??? Man Surprised

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Undeliverable Spam Mail Again

Hi Globecodds,

Thank you for following the steps listed in our Email Spoofing post. If you have confirmed that your email account hasn't been compromised then it would indicate that this is spoofed spam.

In all honesty this is outside of our control as would-be spammers have numerous methods of obtaining email addresses. And that is all they need to ensure the failed delivery notifications are sent to you Smiley Sad

My advice would be to set up a new email address that is only given out to trusted friends and family members. Use a different address for registering to online sites - this would be your disposable address which can be replaced if it becomes a target of spammers.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Globecodds,

When did the problem first start?

If you look at the messages which are being returned to you as undeliverable, are the recipients sometimes (or even always) people you know?

What are some of the subjects of the messages which you did not send which are being returned as undeliverable?

Since August 2015, Virgin Media has had more than 500 reported cases of accounts which have been both spoofed and hacked where I used hacked loosely to mean that someone other than the account holder has been able to access the account and make off with a list of all email addresses present in the web mail account.  These spammers then use the collected list of addresses as the recipients of short chatty little email messages containing a single link to a fraudulent business designed to bilk the recipients by means of acquiring their credit-card numbers under false pretenses.  To make this unpleasant scheme more successful, these spammers make use of your good name and attached your from address to the messages they are sending.  The spammers know that your friends may be more likely to respond if they think that you sent the message.

You'll want to assess whether or not you have a case of this problem because these spammers are extremely persistent and these cases are not at all benign.  They tend to make the Virgin Media account unusable and could expose you to the possibility of financial fraud as well as damaging your professional reputation and standing with the recipients of the spam messages.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

P.S.  While Virgin Media continues to claim here that they are unable to take action to protect their users against email spoofing and that problems like this are outside their control, other more responsive and more knowledgeable email providers have found themselves completely able and willing to take action to protect their users from spoofing.  Instead of throwing up their hands and saying "there is nothing we can do", both AOL and Yahoo! took decisive action in April 2014.  They listened to their customers, investigated the problem, worked with law enforcement, publicized the situation, announced their response, and put in place a DMARC p=reject policy to protect their customers from spoofing.  The spoofing attacks plaguing several hundred to several thousand Virgin Media accounts have all the hallmarks of being the work of the same gang of "COM spammers" that AOL and Yahoo! neutralized several years ago.  It is does appear to be true that Virgin Media lacks the expertise and organizational cohesiveness to recognize this problem and respond, but it is not for lack of available proven technical solutions applied by other organizations with greater email expertise and stronger customer service (as well as louder complaints from their customers on Twitter...)

0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It looks like you are happy your account has not been compromised which is good. Those non delivery reports you are seeing undoubtedly are not related to email you have sent as your address is being used as the FROM address for spam emails. They are often only interested in you clicking on a link and not actually replying. Think of is as your address being put on the back of some junk mail. It's not actually from you and but if someone does decide to send it back then it will come to you. Technically there is very little which can be done about this, it's quite common for people to use different reply-to or from addresses so a blanket block would cause more problems.
0 Kudos