Menu
CHughes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unable to use my domain e mail address

As of today any e mails using my domain e mail address have stopped. I use an old account ntlworld.com .  I am not techy or IT savvy and cannot understand why this has happened.  I wonder if it's a security block by Virgin. I have spoke with Virgin and they have asked me to contact my domain provider.  However this has happened before and it was nothing to do with the domain.  A few days later I was receiving e mails again.  Can anyone help me so that I can go back to Virgin and tell them what they need to do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to use my domain e mail address

Can you still successfully log into your ntlworld account via Virgin Media webmail and via the My Virgin media account page?

CHughes
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Yes, I can still log in as above.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

CHughes wrote:
Hi Graham,

Yes, I can still log in as above.

That has cleared one hurdle then, it was your mention of it being an 'old' account that made me ask.

You may need to go back to your domain host to see if they are getting bounce or delay messages and get them to forward those to you.  As far as community help goes @ravenstar68 is pretty good on these issues. He may be able to advise further when he is next online.

CHughes
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you - I will do that.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think Graham's more or less asked everything I would ask up to this point.

Without seeing any example emails or error messages, it will be very hard for Virgin Media to move forward.

I'm leaning towards one of two possibilities.

1. The Domain Providers forwarding server is blacklisted.
2. Virgin Media graylisting strikes again.

However, as assumption is often the mother of all screw ups, I would not like to categorically state which one without evidence.  Indeed it could even be something altogether different.

The best advice I can give at this time is, instead of relying on your old ntlworld.com address to receive your emails.  Consider setting up an email account with Gmail, Outlook.com or one of the many other free providers out there and change where your mail is forwarded to go there instead.

The reason I say this is the best advice is because what I want more than anything, is to get the mail flowing back to you.  Virgin Media's email provision is sub-par, even for a free email service.  (And that's putting it politely).

Ideally, you should consider moving to a properly hosted solution for your email domain.  Email is changing and some of those changes mean that unless forwarder services move with the times, you are likely to see increasing problems with email being delivered to your address anyway.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

CHughes
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you Tim. I will take your advice and look for another account.
Clare
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68's advice is well founded and I endorse it entirely. One small addition. If you want to keep your NTL address live you must access it directly via web mail or via and e-mail client at least once every 90 days or VM will suspend it and close it completely after 60 days - policy introduced in 2014.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
CHughes
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you for that I will keep that in mind.

C
0 Kudos