Menu
sallyede
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unable to unlock virgin email account

Hi,

My virgin.net email account was locked this afternoon by virgin. I received a text on my mobile that told me to visit virginmedia.com/lock to get the account unlocked. Unfortunately, when I setup the account many many years ago I don't think I added a memorable security word. So I am unable to unlock the account myself. 

Please help. I really need access to my emails !!!

Sally

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to unlock virgin email account

Hi Sally,

Are you still a paying customer of Virgin Media?  VM seem to be culling old email accounts that belonged to ex-VM customers.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
sallyede
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get my account unlocked eventually and have now brought up to date all of my security settings. Problem was that the account was locked due to some issue with spamming. All sorted, panic over!

0 Kudos
sallyede
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm not a paying customer, and I thought that that was my problem. You need an account number in order to get through by phone. However, after a long while of waiting and queuing I was able to talk to someone in a live chat window. First attempt they said speak to talk talk, so I did. Talk talk said they couldn't help, then went back to VM and a different person was able to help me. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it sorted but perhaps you should think of it as a wake-up call.   Rather than rely on an ISP (one that you don't even have a live account with) email account you really ought to be using something like Gmail before VM finally pull the plug on you.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

While I'm glad you've got access back - it needs to be pointed out that if you are no longer a paying customer then your email access should have terminated by now.

Virgin SHOULD close emails 90 days after a broadband account is closed.  Where a customer was transferred to TalkTalk when Virgin  sold off the ADSL side of the business customers were allowed to keep exiting email addresses for a year, but even that period has now expired.

As such you MUST start moving to a new email address ASAP and notifying your contacts of the change of email address.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
sallyede
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up. I've not been a paying customer for at least 10 years, and can't remember if this account was setup as a free account or came with a dial up account or mobile! Either way, you'd think they would send me an email if they were going to terminate the account rather than me find out by accident. I'll get on the case and notify my contacts!
0 Kudos
sallyede
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes a wake up call indeed!!
0 Kudos