Menu
gt4boy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails.

Hello,

Just wondering if someone could help me sort my email woes please.

After trawling through many threads on here it's seems a 'new thread' is the preferred way to go, so in summary:

Using Outlook 2016 as my client - everything was good until a few weeks ago.

I get the recurring message box asking for username and password etc.

Performing the email log(s) that get talked about, I get  - 525 Authentication Denied (VM304)

I'm trying to send using my blueyonder email address, via POP3. Receiving emails is no problem.

If I log onto webmail, using the same username and password, everything seems to operate fine.

The problem seems to common to all the devices I use.

I hope that's sufficient information for someone to be able to help but if I have missed something off then please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Darren

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails.

What a delight this post is. Someone who reads the Boards, takes the action recommended for Outlook e-mail client users and posts the diagnostic information we need. This is a model example of how to use the Forum to best effect. I'm going to give you a kudos for this. I'm also going to refer this to the Mods so that the Forum Team can see the post and take action to help you. That is irrespective of the further questions I have asked.

But I do have some further questions for you. Is there anything unusual about your sending arrangements? What I want to hear is an answer in the negative. That you are sending direct from your Outlook client through VM's SMTP servers using port 465 and SSL/authentication with an up to date and functioning VM mail address. If not please explain what you are doing. Also please confirm unequivocally that you are VM customer with a current VM broadband account. 

There is one set of circumstances (amongst many) that can cause this error which is that  you are using a VM e-mail address for authentication that is suspended or deleted because it is not your normal VM mail address and you have not accessed it for the last 90 days through an e-mail client or web mail. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
gt4boy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello HowardML,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and thank you also for your kind words.

In response to your questions, as far as I'm aware there is nothing unusual about my arrangements. As you say, using Outlook via VM's SMTP - basically using all settings as listed at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/td-p/3166396

The email address is valid and functional as proved by using the webmail interface without any issues.

Our household is a current VM customer with Phone, TV and Broadband services. The 'email' in question is actually part of a secondary account. Naturally there is the primary account holder and another secondary account, both with blueyonder email(s) and both of these are using their email clients without any issues whatsoever, hence it seems it's only my email address that is affected.

Regarding the '90 day / lack of use' possibility, this is my main email address and I'd like to think that this would be impossible in this case as it rarely goes more than a couple of days without being accessed.

Again, I hope this provides the information you require but should you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks once more for your time and help,

Darren

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Perfect. I have referred this to the Mods already for the Forum Team to check the account. They will probably ask for information to identify which e-mail address is troublesome, unless you can confirm here that it is also the address you have used as part of your Forum registration. If they do ask it will be via private message to protect your privacy.

You have also ruled out one of the possible causes of this issue, the one I described in first reply. The issue will therefore be something to do with the various back-end VM servers that store account information. The Forum Team can get this sorted.

Watch out from tomorrow for their reply in this thread. It may take them a day or so to get to it. Please be patient. I will keep and eye out too and remind if I have to.

For the moment web mail is the only answer if you want to send on the relevant address.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gt4boy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thanks again.

Just to confirm, yes it is the email address I used to register on this forum.

I'll await their reply.

All the best,

Darren

gt4boy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello HowardML,

Just wondering if you've heard anything about this one?

I know it's only been a few days but I've had no contact from anybody about the problem.

Regards,

Darren

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I've just this minute chased it up!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi gt4boy,

Sorry for being late in reaching this. The thread was assigned to my yesterday but I've only just realised.

I'm just inspecting the SMTP logs but shall run out of time, so I'll get back to this first thing tomorrow morning. Hope you don't mind waiting just a little longer.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@gt4boy

Bingo - picked up by a real VM Forum Team expert on this error! Keep watching for more questions (just in case)

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
gt4boy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you both!

0 Kudos