Menu
Peterg71
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails from Windows 10 Mail App

I have two Computers, a Dell Desktop and Microsoft Surface Pro 4 which worked normally until 21st November, but since that date I have been unable to send emails from the Windows 10 Mail App. The NTLWorld email account works perfectly when using web mail.

I have created another email account (outlook.com) and with that account I can send emails from both computers using the Windows Mail app. It seems to be a problem with Virgin Media emails only. Do you have a fix for this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails from Windows 10 Mail App

How are the server details entered? Windows mail is a little different than other clients as the port numbers are entered within the server details as thus - smtp.virginmedia.com:465:1

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
Peterg71
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear Superuser'

Thank you for your response. The server details are "smtp ntlworld.com:465:1"

It worked normally up to 21Nov, and I have not knowing made changes to any of the PC's (although Microsoft may have with one of the regular updates.

peter g

0 Kudos
Peterg71
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Although previously it happened occasionally, I am now getting a message "your NTLWorld setting are out of date" every 5 to 10 minutes, when I click on "fix" I am asked to confirm the account password, which I do each time. I have changed the password but this appears to make no difference.

peter g

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The news is not good. This is a well known issue with the Win 10 mail app which remains largely unresolved. Google for further advice on what you might be able to do to resolve. It is not a VM issue. You might need or want to use a different e-mail client to be successful. Thunderbird is often recommended.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Peterg71
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HowardML,

Thank you for your response, it does explain what it happening to my emails. I suspect that it is an upgrade to Office 356 which has produced a conflict somewhere in the system.

Thank you all for you help.

peter g

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have done this then use Outlook which is included in Office 365. It works well. Guide here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2723&CURRENT_C...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Peterg71
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear HowardML,

Thank you, I have tried that and it works.

peter g

0 Kudos