Menu
dracos
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send email to virginmedia customers

Hi,

I run servers that send opt-in email to virginmedia (and blueyonder/ntlworld) customers (e.g. a confirmation email to send a message to their MP through writetothem.com, an alert when their MP speaks on theyworkforyou.com, or an alert for new reports on fixmystreet.com). We currently have approximately 400 emails sitting on our mail queue, which are not sending to either of the two MXs for virginmedia.com / blueyonder.co.uk / ntlworld.com / etc. They either close the connection at the end of DATA or close the connection in response to the initial connection, but do also over time accept a small number of emails (but far less than the number awaiting sending, to people who have asked for them!).

I have tried to contact anyone appropriate via online chat, phone, Twitter, but have got nowhere. Please could you investigate, the IP addresses involved are mostly: 46.43.39.102, 46.43.39.103, 46.43.39.75 and 46.43.39.78. Please do get in touch via https://www.mysociety.org/contact/ if you require more information, but hopefully that is enough for you to look and see what is going on.

As it is, Virgin Media customers are not receiving emails they have asked to receive. Please look into this as soon as possible.

Yours, Matthew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send email to virginmedia customers

Hi dracos,

Thanks for coming to our Community for help with this, though apologies for the situation you are in.

It sounds as though you may be affected by our rate-limiting, which in effect delays mail delivery where the sending IP is suspected of Spam activity. Or the emails are being outright rejected due to included URL's being subject to blacklisting (mainly due to being marked as spam by the end-user). 

I'll send you a PM in a moment (purple envelope icon, top right of page) requesting a little more information from you.

I'll then get this flagged up to our Postmaster for further investigation.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

sagepe
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I know that this thread has been quiet for some time, but I work with dracos at mySociety and we've been seeing the same issues with our opt-in emails, particularly over the past couple of weeks. We currently have several hundred opt-in messages for your customers sitting in our mail queues.

It does indeed appear to be rate limiting from the two MX records for the various domains, mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net and mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. We don't get rejections, just dropped connections. Some mails are being slowly allowed through.

Just to reiterate, our servers send opt-in email to virginmedia (and blueyonder/ntlworld) customers (e.g. a confirmation email to send a message to their MP through writetothem.com, an alert when their MP speaks on theyworkforyou.com, an alert for new reports on fixmystreet.com, or an update on an FOI request at whatdotheyknow.com). Our main home page is at mysociety.org where you can find more information about us.

Please can you see whether you can do anything to whitelist mail from our IP addresses? If this isn't the best place to ask, then I'd appreciate a pointer. Our IP addresses are 46.43.39.102, 46.43.39.103, 46.43.39.75 and 46.43.39.78 as per the original post, the majority of the mail should come from .102 and .103 which are ReturnPath certified.

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I'm really sorry that your previous efforts to contact us haven't been successful. But we'll happily pick this up for you.
Firstly we'll need either the Header or MTA log data to identify the cause which we'll then pass on to our Postmaster. I've come across a number of issues where missing DMARC records seem to be a factor - this may or may not be relevant in your case but I'd be interested to find out.
Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get this attended to.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos