Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
BillyB
Helpful Answer

Unable to send email form Outlook

Hi - Have just joined Virgin and have a "@virginmedia.com" address.

I can send and receive fine from virgin media page but I am having issies when using outlook.

I can now receive email fine ( after a bit fiddling about) but cannot send, I am getting the following error message

Task ‘pop3.virginmedia.com –sending’ reported error (0x00CCC78) unable to send the message. Please verify email address in your account properties

I have looked on the various help pages but that does not seem to help much, any one have any ideas I can try?

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Unable to send email form Outlook

Which version of Outlook are you using?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
BillyB

Opps should have said  - MS Outlook 2003

Ta very much

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Although I think that some of screens are slightly different try working through the settings for Outlook 2007 here http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
BillyB

Many thanks for the advise - all working fine now

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
telsy

BillyB,

I joined Virgin just over a week ago and I have the same problem with my Outlook 2003. I cannot send mail from the virginmedia.com account but I have set it up as advised. How did you manage to get it working?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Keith

My problem is frustrating to say the least.  Here is the background..

We have a Virgin Modem and a virgin router, our Broadband is delivered by cable, formerly provided by ntl world.

Up until three weeks ago using the smtp setting > smtp.virgin.net I could send emails using Outlook 2003 or indeed 2007.

SEVERAL phone calls to Virgin technical support have FAILED to restore my sending capability.  My contract is up for renewal at the end of March and I really am NOT compelled to extend it since the responses I have received from Virgin have been little more than useless. 

I am a Virgin CUSTOMER...NOT an IT professional and therefore would like some straightforward answers and HOPEFULLY solutions to my problem, preferably in intelligible ENGLISH.  My question is simple, how come I can no longer send emails, despit having a trouble free and uninterupted service using smtp.virgin.net for more than 10 months.  YES I have changed that setting to smtp.netlworld.com...I pass the outlook message test and get a Congratulations message....BUT what is REALLY spooky is that my messages show as sent in my outlook sent box and I do not even receive an error message that my message has not been delivered.  I sent 6 test messages this morning to 6 separate email addresses and TWO hours later...none have been received.

CAN YOU HELP??????????????????????????????????  One very very very frustrated and disappointed Virgin Customer

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mjvaughan

Hi - i have had EXACTLY the same problem.  Fine until end of Feb, now i cannot send emails.  i have emailed Virgin and suggested that they are in breach of their service contract to me.  I too will not be renewing my contract with them

PLEASE can anyone suggest what to do - i have tried al manner of SMTP servers, ports, SSL, SPA settings but now cannot get emails sent out using Outlook 2003.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
gillberrill

can anybody helpme pleae i am using vista and have gone through everything i can receive messages in outlook but cant receive them it wont send the test message

it says none of the authenticated methods supported by this client are supported by your server

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
grahamm7

If you are using a standard email client such as Outlook Express or Outlook you need to know that the virgin.media mail system DOES not use the STANDARD POP3 or SMTP Ports.  (Thanks for telling us Virgin)!!  They say they are using Port 995 WITH SSL for POP3 and Port 465 with SSL for SMTP relay. However having worked for over 8 years in IT networking I can't get it to work.  Web Mail works. But I want to use standard mail clients.  I am not told this will not be fixed till 11 MAR.  Even though I started this journey of trying to set up a mail box on virginmedia.com on Fri 26 Feb.  This is the most appalling IT approach I have met.  If it wasn't for the great cable 10Mbps broadband I would forsake Virgin Media immediately.  Oh well rock on Virgin and sort out your mail system since you have merged Web Mail using Google apps and allowing virginmedia.com accounts (which seem very problematical)!!  I am not a very happy customer and have raised an on-line web complaint.  But I will see what sort of response I get from Virgin?

Please use plain text.