Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
simonlowrie

Unable to connect server

Hello

For the last week my Android mobile has been unable to receive any emails and displays the message 'unable to connect server'. I have checked the account settings and they are correct according to the Virgin IMAP setup pages. When entering these details the account is unable to verify so I'm unable to proceed. These settings have worked fine for many years and have not been changed.I have also tried the account settings on an iphone but get the same message. My webmail shows new messages but my mobile never updates with new/unread messages. IMAP is enabled on my webmail account (again setting has not changed).

Cheers, Simon

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
DavidJW

Re: Unable to connect server

I was interested if anyone had a reply to the request below as it seems similar problem

I suddenly cannot receive or send email from my IPad since 13th September while in USA. Very inconvenient. I was getting email with no problems. I have not changed the settings. imap is enabled in the main  account and I have tried all internet suggestions - reboot iPad, re-enter settings, try another wifi but all say' cannot get mail - the mail server imap.virginmedia.com is not responding'.

I am able to get webmail via safari but would prefer to have email separately as before. Advice please

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Amer_Z

Hi both,

Really sorry still unable to access on separate devices. Can you please try the POP settings found here. However to receive emails on multiple devices you will have to enable recent mode.

Amer_Z
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
simonlowrie

Hello Ama

thank you for the helpful suggestions. Do you have a date when the email will work through IMAP again? Also can you confirm if I change the settings on my mobile device I will not experience any issues accessing my email through webmail? I also access my email through outlook/microsoft email client using IMAP so will I need to change these settings too?

If I will receive a notification when IMAP is working again then I will consider changing, but as I wasn't notified of the fault I guess I won't be notified when it is fixed.

Regards, Simon

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Amer_Z

Hi simonlowries,

Yes you can use POP on all devices. But make sure you login to webmail, navigate to settings then Forwarding and POP/IMAP and  "When messages are accessed with POP" - set this to Keep Virgin Media's copy in the inbox. Need also to make sure none of your clients are set to delete a copy of the server.

With the IMAP. There is a fault being investigated, however you will not be notified. Worth you bumping the post back in a weeks time.

Amer_Z

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
simonlowrie

Hey David

I have just returned from a few weeks in Holland and as soon as I turned my phone on emails started to come through. I have not changed mt settings and are still running IMAP. Unless this is a total coincidence I would leave your settings and see what happens when you get back to blighty.

Maybe Ama could shed some light on what has happened?

Simon

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Dean_A_W

[ Edited ]

Hello Simonlowrie

So have the issues corrected itself? Are you still experiencing a problem?

Kind regards,

Dean_A_W

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Dean_A_W

[ Edited ]

Hello DavidJW

Sorry to hear about the issue your experiencing. Just to confirm that you have checked the configuration settings against the  link below?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=37928&CURRENT_...

Is the issue still ongoing, or has it now been resolved?

Kind regards,

Dean_A_W

Please use plain text.