Menu
Bwanatwistre
Joining in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Too many recipients (VM501) whats happening

Keep getting the message '' Too many recipients (VM501) after trying to send a multiple email to 55 addresses. Never had this problem before whats happening??? Is there anything I need to do??

0 Kudos
jimthing
Up to speed
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Too many recipients (VM501) whats happening

<No response from VM staff. How unsurprising. >

CS phone call experience with Virgin Media: same with you? [video!]:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/CS-phone-call-experience-same-with-you-video/td-p/1952002
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bwanatwistre,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this error whilst trying to send email.  Are you using webmail, or a mail client when doing this?  Had you sent any emails to these contacts before the problem began, did you receive any replies that a message was undeliverable?

You can see a bit more info about sending limits here, but do let us know a bit more info and we'll check this for you.

I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Bwanatwistre
Joining in
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

am using thunderbird and ntlworld.com to sent emails . have been using them for many years without problems to send to the same email group.What is happening and what is Virgin media doing about it??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hello Bwanatwistre

Sorry but it looks like you have hit one of our sending limits we enforce to try and stop spam. 

The VM501 indicates that the recipient count in the last rolling hour has been exceeded.

It may be worth waiting up to an hour and trying again or using webmail. Webmail has a higher recipient threshold because it is more difficult for spammers to use.

Something else to be wary of is that your mailbox hasn't been compromised and someone else is sending emails from it. It may be worth follow the instructions here just to be sure.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Bwanatwistre
Joining in
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

So this means that Virgin Media have down graded my service which I am paying for and have not bothered to inform me. Will this continue to happen if I send my normal number of emails to my walking group as this is the main way I keep in touch. I do not want to use web mail nor do I wish to cut the number on my address list in to smaller groups .
Will my FULL SERVICE be restored. If now I will have to look at going elsewhere for email service
0 Kudos
Bwanatwistre
Joining in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Just to recap I have been with Cabletel/ntl/virgin for over 15 years. and have been sending group email of 55/60 addresses for over 8 years . Can my service be restored???
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

hiya @Bwanatwistre
as it says in link posted byNicola_C "Your account should be re-enabled within 24 hours."

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Bwanatwistre
Joining in
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Still got the problem . left it 48hrs then. Tried to send an email to 6 recipients but it got blocked. Then I could not send to a single email address. was using Thunderbird as my preferred Went direct to virgin mail and was able to send each email separately. What a drag!!!!! Can someone help me please. Had NO help from Virgin Media surprise surprise.
Will now look into other options for my Email Service
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Bwanatwistre wrote:
Still got the problem . left it 48hrs then. Tried to send an email to 6 recipients but it got blocked. Then I could not send to a single email address. was using Thunderbird as my preferred Went direct to virgin mail and was able to send each email separately. What a drag!!!!! Can someone help me please. Had NO help from Virgin Media surprise surprise.
Will now look into other options for my Email Service

It isn't clear from your replies if you have followed the advice to change you email password and the answers to your security questions.  As you are still getting the 501 message it would appear that someone else is using your account details to send emails.  Making the changes suggested in the link from Nicola_C should help stop the problem.

I understand that this is incredibly frustrating but it is not fair to say you have had no help from Virgin Media as two Forum staff have replied with valid responses.