Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
JaneB

Too Many Recipients error

On a regular basis I am getting this System Administrator bounce back when I try to send emails:

<453 Too Many recipients (VM502)

This is making it impossible to do my work as a freelance journalist and publicist. By the nature of the trade I have to send a volume of press releases out almost every day and this is stopping me doing this. I have explained to Virgin  Net several times what I do and it must be obvious from the recipients email addresses that this is not Spam email I am sending - because they are all to national newspapers, radio stations etc.

This has ony become a real problem in recent weeks. Can you please advise on your daily quota re emails and how this can be resolved because it is totally incompatible with my work.

Also in last few days I have been getting the window requesting "Enter Network Password" which again is making it impossioble to work. This will then go away for a while and then return. I tried going to your Virgin Remote Assistance section for help and I get a window saying "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" - if you decide to ignore this the next thing that comes up is a broken link saying "You've caught us out"! All in all I think this is very poor service from Virgin for a service that I am paying quite a lot for each month. Hope you can help. Every time I ring Virgin Service Annoucements a cheery voice always says "Everything is working as normal at present" - but it clearly isn't!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Too Many Recipients error

Here you go:

What are the limitations on email size, recipients & attachment types in Virgin Media Mail?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JaneB

Thanks Ben - none of the emailed press releases I sent out yesterday were to more than 100 recipients so why would my outgoing email now be blocked and say "Too Many recipients" even when I try to send a single email.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
bobjackson

I'm also getting this error.  It started about 3 weeks ago. 

I send emails to about 400 members in my club, I split it into 15 distribution lists averaging 25 people

The error occurred on about the 9th email i.e. I'd successfully sent to approx 200 people.  If I waited an hour I could then send the rest.

This behaviour has changed today.  I sent about 9 emails this morning before getting the error.  But I've not been able to send any messages since, not even a single message to a single user

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JaneB

Ben

In the info you sent me about this problem it states< If you use an e-mail client  you should be able to send to up to 100 recipients at a time> This simply is not the case.. I am sending press releases (or trying to!) in batches of less than 100 each time - usually around 50- and once again I have got the "too many recipients" error today. I am then having to wait virtually 24 hours to be able to send email again. This is totally unacceptable for someone working from home as a freelance journalist/PR. Can you or someone else from V.Net customer support please rectify this or I will have to look into going to another ISP.

Please use plain text.
bobjackson

[ Edited ]

I'm still getting the same problem, sent some emails last night, got the error message, and even at 09:00 today, trying to send one message to one person, still getting the error.  8pm this evening I can now send emails again.

I've counted the number I sent last night, it was 15 emails with a total of 250 recipients. 

I am news editor of a flourishing running club and have been sending weekly emails to 350+ addresses (using 15 separate address lists) for the last year.

It looks like the limit of 250 was put on 3 weeks ago

Can anyone help?

NB I am using MS Outlook 2010.  And I can send messages using Mail2Web.  This looks like a Virgin Server problem with MS outlook

Please use plain text.
Huw_B

Hello JaneB and bobjackson, 

I have managed to locate both of your accounts and have now raised a fault to our Incident Management Team for investigations into this issue. I appreciate the frustration this error may give you. 

I will update this post further once I have an update 

thank you 

Huw 

Huw
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Huw_B

Hello JaneB and bobjackson, 

I have just sent you both a personal message, could you please reply to that as further information may be needed

thank you 

Huw
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JaneB

Thanks Huw. It would certainly be good to know the exact number of recipients you can send to per email and the upper limit for the volume of emails you can send in 24 hrs - and why this has changed in recent weeks when there was no problem before.

Please use plain text.
bobjackson

Just for anyone else following this trail

I've had a reply from the Support Team as follows

"I have had lengthy discussions regarding this with our network team, They have investigated and found that the amount of mails you are sending is triggering the spam filter and therefore that is causing the error. The reason why this is only now happening is that there was an issue on the outgoing mail server which meant that the spam filter was not working correctly. The network team addressed this issue around three weeks ago and fixed that issue, this ties in with the time that it first started for you."

In other words there is a limit of 250 destinations (250 emails with 1 addressee or 5 emails with 50 addressees, it makes no difference) in 24 hours.

This is what it says on the virginmedia website

"Maximum number of recipients

If you use Virgin Media Mail through a Web browser, you should be able to send to up to 500 recipients at a time. If you use an e-mail client (e.g., Windows Mail) instead, you should be able to send to up to 100 recipients at a time"

NO MENTION OF DAILY LIMIT

Is anyone else affected by this?

Bob

Please use plain text.