Menu
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The "Spam Folder Settings Change" sticky - clarification, please.

Re. the "Spam Folder Settings Change" sticky... I have a few questions:

1: "... spam in the spam folder – which will be automatically deleted every 30 days." What, every one of them, in one hit? What about the not-spams that VM erroneously puts into the spam folder just before the automatic deletion? Surely a period of grace, to give the customer a fighting chance of marking them as not-spam, would be needed? Indeed, I can see that some customers might wish to keep all of their spam so that they can spot the trends etc. which VM seems incapable of seeing. Advising "that you check your spam folder on Webmail if you believe you are missing otherwise expected emails." is fine, but if we're on holiday with no internet access, and the deletion takes place before our return... well, we stand a chance of losing a lot of good messages.

2: "You can of course change the setting as you wish." That's vague. Does it mean that we will get options to control the automatic deletion process?

3: "We’ll only be changing those where customers have their mail settings to ‘reject spam’..." Does that mean that those of us who have already set our prefs manually to put spam in the spam folder won't have the automatic deletion implemented/imposed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... or for anyone else except SWMBO.
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: The "Spam Folder Settings Change" sticky - clarification, please.

The 30 day deletion is not a new initiative. It has been in place for some time. It is not user controllable. The grace period you ask about is 30 days. Spam that has been in the spam folder for more than 30 days is auto deleted monthly.
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
The 30 day deletion is not a new initiative. It has been in place for some time.

Really? How long?

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Haven't got the exact date to hand, but soon after the email service was brought in house following the withdrawal by Google of their service.
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
Haven't got the exact date to hand, but soon after the email service was brought in house following the withdrawal by Google of their service.

Really?

Must be another thing that's busted.

Here's a screenshot of my spam folder, oldest at the top.

oldspam.jpg

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

SDC wrote:

Re. the "Spam Folder Settings Change" sticky... I have a few questions:

1: "... spam in the spam folder – which will be automatically deleted every 30 days." What, every one of them, in one hit? What about the not-spams that VM erroneously puts into the spam folder just before the automatic deletion? Surely a period of grace, to give the customer a fighting chance of marking them as not-spam, would be needed? Indeed, I can see that some customers might wish to keep all of their spam so that they can spot the trends etc. which VM seems incapable of seeing. Advising "that you check your spam folder on Webmail if you believe you are missing otherwise expected emails." is fine, but if we're on holiday with no internet access, and the deletion takes place before our return... well, we stand a chance of losing a lot of good messages.

It should be a "rolling" 30 days before deletion. That is a full 30 days in the"spam" folder, for each and every email, and based on the receipt date. I say should but we are looking at the VM email system here, so who really knows?

2: "You can of course change the setting as you wish." That's vague. Does it mean that we will get options to control the automatic deletion process?

The only change should be that instead of an automatic "reject spam" by default, the default will now be to "deliver spam to spam folder". Some, like @ravenstar68 and @Howard_ML may say "That's what it should have been in the first place!" And they are right.

@3: "We’ll only be changing those where customers have their mail settings to ‘reject spam’..." Does that mean that those of us who have already set our prefs manually to put spam in the spam folder won't have the automatic deletion implemented/imposed?

It's probably best that you revisit/reset your email preferences to your preferred settings, just in case. I would assume that the 30 day automatic deletion procedures for "spam" emails will still be imposed, (but see point 1, just in case).

To avoid all this hassle just get an ISP independent email address, and one which you can actually rely on. Depending solely on an ISP provided email address is just asking for trouble!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

SDC wrote:

Graham_A wrote:

Really?

Must be another thing that's busted.

Here's a screenshot of my spam folder, oldest at the top.

oldspam.jpg

Just one more example of how the VM email system "doesn't do what it says on the tin".

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

FWIW, I still have over 230 spams in there, and over 220 of them are post-migration.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

SDC wrote:

FWIW, I still have over 230 spams in there, and over 220 of them are post-migration.

In the interim, have you tried to manually delete the spam emails? That's what I would try. Smiley Wink

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the clean-out process doesn't recognise them as spam?

You see now why I asked for clarification? Clearly there are unfounded expectations that if it works for some, it works for all.

It smacks of Golden-Path Testing.

0 Kudos