Menu
Tinker2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The most useless email possible!

Hi!

I have to have a Blueyonder account as I am with Virgin and no doubt they would not let me use another proper account that actually works every time!

If it is not down for essential maintenance, that is if it will actually open at all, then it is demanding to know if I am a robot and shows me a lot of stupid pictures to pick from, NOW it is demanding that I enable Java script.

Does the nerds in Virgin knot know that Java Script is full of nasties and lets all sorts of nasties onto your computer.

Computeractive magazine warned about Java and Java script years ago, get rid of them they said!

If it is of any interest, I have cleared my cache and cookies from Firefox to no avail, I still cannot access my Blueyonder  e mail account!

What Next?

Frustrated from Gloucester!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: The most useless email possible!

Tinker2 wrote:

Hi!

I have to have a Blueyonder account as I am with Virgin and no doubt they would not let me use another proper account that actually works every time!

<snip>

What Next?

Theres no reason you cant have another email account, gmail, hotmail, whatever. You really should  get one as your current one is tied to you having an account with VM...not a great idea.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tinker2 wrote:

Hi!

You're free to use any email provider you want.  Virgin are an ISP, while they do provide free email, you don't have to stick with it.

If it is not down for essential maintenance, that is if it will actually open at all, then it is demanding to know if I am a robot and shows me a lot of stupid pictures to pick from, NOW it is demanding that I enable Java script.

Javascript is a useful web technology.  While it can be used for malicious ends most sites use it - see here

Does the nerds in Virgin knot know that Java Script is full of nasties and lets all sorts of nasties onto your computer.

Computeractive magazine warned about Java and Java script years ago, get rid of them they said!

While I like Computeractive, my personal view is that they sometimes go over the top.  While disabling Java is certainly worthwhile, disabling Javascript will impact the majority of websites you visit, including other mail providers like Gmail as well as Virgin Media's web mail. - Have a read of this - http://www.howtogeek.com/138865/htg-explains-should-you-disable-javascript/

If it is of any interest, I have cleared my cache and cookies from Firefox to no avail, I still cannot access my Blueyonder  e mail account!

What Next?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Tinker2
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A useless reply, as per usual, I have different email accounts with different servers, different ones for bank only, ordering  from web, one for holiday/flights etc for security reasons!

What I am explaining about is to receive bills etc from Virgin who are so secretive that I am unable to reach them by email, I have to have a useless Blueyonder account!

Since they upgraded it some time ago it is total crap, also  just lately I have been receiving loads of  filthy spam, and guess what, I receive none in any of my other email accounts!

Pathetic!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Utter and complete drivel. Wrong on every possible count. Your contact e-mail address with VM is amendable in My Virgin Media to any e-mail address you like.

If your BY account is causing you issues change the contact address. The requirement in your terms and conditions of service is to have a working address for contact - that is all.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can change where Virgin Media sends you information about your account by logging in to my.virginmedia.com and going to the Profile section.  And editing the contact details.  So you are still not forced to have a blueyonder address.

Incidentally you can also change your username to a Non Virgin Media email address.  Although I don't recommend it if you do plan on continuing using their Email service.

Rvanestar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tinker2
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Jimmy !
0 Kudos
Tinker2
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar will have a look to see!

Have actually got rid of Java script bit bit still refuses to open!

Cheers!

0 Kudos