Menu
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media / NTL World e-mail services is not working

My wife has been having repeated problems accessing her NTL World e-mail since last year. The Service Status page makes no mention of this but from other posts on the Virgin Media Community website and elsewhere there has been an ongoing problem with access to e-mail for quite some time.

I'm lucky, I access my NTL World e-mail accounts using POP3 and IMAP via my Google Mail (GMail) account which works fine but does result in me having duplicate copies of all of my e-mail and uses up my Google account storage quota. However, I too cannot access my NTL World e-mail directly from the Virgin Media website which I have to do on occasion if I need to read and reply to an e-mail message urgently without waiting for my GMail account to refresh from the NTL/VM servers.

This is an unacceptable, long-running problem and needs to be addressed urgently. My wife and I are finding this very frustrating and annoying.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: The Virgin Media / NTL World e-mail services is not working

What a way to over-complicate issues. Yes VM web mail is ghastly. Yes it needs fixing. But why not access both NTL addresses directly by using an e-mail client as one of you does. No need for one of you to go via Google unless you insist on seeing all you mail in one place in which case set up your e-mail client to pick up your Google mail. I've just done this for a friend and it works brilliantly.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For many years I used Outlook Express as my e-mail client for a number of e-mail providers including NTL World although this was not really by choice but more by convention at the time. Increasingly there was a move away from using e-mail client software to using web interfaces instead which, certainly initially, was not desirable as the web interfaces lacked a lot of the features of installed software clients. However, user interfaces have improved and the need for portability across devices and operating systems has almost entirely ruled out the use of software clients.

My wife and I need to be able to access our e-mail on our laptops, tablets, phones or indeed any device with an internet connection and a web browser. That is how Virgin Media / NTL World e-mail is supposed to work but it has simply not been reliable for several months.

Félim
0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media / NTL World e-mail service leaves items selected unexpectedly

If, for example, you select several messages to perform an action such as move or delete (send to trash), when the operation has completed, at least one e-mail message will remain selected and may therefore be inadvertently included in a subsequent action intended to be performed only on other messages. This can result in messages being unexpectedly and unknowingly moved or deleted etc. which is extremely undesirable.

I'm not sure when this began to happen but it wasn't always the case and does not happen in similar systems such as Google Mail (GMail).

Félim
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are right about VM web mail performance. I have solved the problem. I have transferred the majority of my e-mail work to a non-ISP related e-mail provider. And as I come across them I do the same for the few people and organisations who still only have my VM address. Web mail on all my devices that works better than VM web mail. Easy.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And as for the selection problem - the current VM web mail view has always done this. It was discussed endlessly then. The answer is two fold. Be careful or stop using VM web mail and find a mail provider unrelated to this ISP to provide your e-mail service. You are already half-way there using GMail.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

While in some ways Virgin Media (and other email providers for that matter), would love it if you only used their webmail portals, the fact is that you don't have to.

I've never solely relied on webmail and all my current devices have All my accounts plugged into email clients on all my devices. (Desktop, Laptop, iPad and Android Smartphone).

While the front end platform is definitely flaky and in need of TLC, the IMAP and SMTP servers are currently working.  So the best approach for me will always be to use something like Thunderbird to get at all my mail, wherever it is.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.