Menu
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TLS/SSL

Good evening folks,

This has been causing considerable grief! We've just received a letter from the VM Internet Security team pointing out we have a problem with the integrity of our email account. In the letter, we are advised to use TLS/SSL (whatever that means) encryption. The letter points out help can be found on VM's helpline pages. Can I find out anything of relevance, can I h*ll! Would someone please assist in setting out what I need to do to bring up Settings.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TLS/SSL

The use of Kudos is entirely up to you.  If you feel someone has given a supportive answer then you can choose to give them Kudos to let them know it's appreciated.

If an answer solves your original problem then you use Mark as Helpful Answer to let people know that's the post that solved your problem.  The answer then automatically appears below your question, although the other posts are still visible as well.

With regards to the issue of Badges, some bright spark thought they'd add to the "Fun" nature of the Forum (sarcasm intended), they're issued automatically just like Game achievements.

Now let's get to the meat of your problem

What is TLS/SSL

SSL is an encryption standard that was originally created by Netscape in order to protect users when entering sensitive information into web browsers.  After SSL 3.0 it underwent a name change, as although Netscape had made the code open source, the actual SSL name still belongs to Netscape, and by extension AOL, who acquired them.  So TLS and SSL are the same.

Why you should use TLS/SSL in you mail programs

Mail standards were created at a time when the internet was in its infancy, the focus at the time was getting different devices talking together rather than focussing on security.  As such many of the standards used clear text to log in.  In the early days when there was only dial-up access, this was less of a concern, as unless someone was tapping your phone line at the right time they were unlikely to capture the transfer.

Imagine that you can intercept the data on the line, though.  This is literally what is sent down the line when you log on via IMAP.

* OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].
a1 login myname mypassword
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SPECIAL-USE QUOTA] Logged in
a1 logout
* BYE Logging out
a1 OK Logout completed.

Connection to host lost.

While you don't have to understand everything, what should be clear is my username and password are visible to anyone who can monitor my connection.  They can also view any emails that are sent to and from my computer.

With SSL/TLS the data is encrypted prior to leaving my computer and the server, so my username and password are no longer visible to simple network sniffing.  Nor are my emails.

The dangers of continuing to use unencrypted connections for emails has been known since the turn of the century.  The accepted wisdom in the RFC's which are recommendations about how certain aspects of the internet communicate together is that email clients MUST NOT exchange passwords over clear text on an unsecured connection.  ISP's have been slow to catch on, Virgin Media only changed their recommended settings in 2010, and certain providers sill use unencrypted connections, TalkTalk has only recently changed (last year I believe) and PlusNet has yet to.

Setting TLS/SSL on Windows 8.1 Mail App

I have to confess I haven't used Windows 8.1 in several years, however, you should be able to change the SSL  settings.  I've never known them to be greyed out.

In fact, this post here shows the critical settings for my blueyonder account under Windows 8.1

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Problems-setting-up-virgin-net-email-address-in-W...

Tim

Edit - Oops Never mind.  Posted before I saw the last two posts.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't worry about the POP settings. All you need is the password change.

All large organisations run Forums where users help other users. It is par for the course. They also have technical support departments which tend to handle phone traffic. If you come here you get the community involvement. If you don't want that phone in. I should also add - and see how far you get! (pace ravenstar68).

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Almost there, except I cannot change one of the Settings. How do I do this please as this page does not appear the allow this?

0 Kudos
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Also, please cut the cr*p about badges. Just give me a meaningful reply, if that is not too much trouble.

0 Kudos
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

To vent my frustration, I repeat the response I gave on Friday.

"Almost there, except I cannot change one of the Settings. How do I do this please as this page does not appear the allow this?"

What is the point of this facility?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What OS, and what email client are you using?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good morning,

Thanks for your interest in the issue I've raised. The OS on our laptop is Windows 8.1 and the email account we use is virginmedia.com.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

And what is the name of the software you are using to access to your e-mail? Without that we cannot advise.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, I don't know the software used to run our emails. Would you advise how I might find out. One other thing, what does PM mean?

Thanks   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

PM = private message

Hover over the icon that you click on to open the e-mail program and that should reveal the name of the software, or open it and click on "Help" and look for the "about" option which will tell you the name of the software.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
7WalnutClose
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No idea on the software used to drive our email service, even when I looked on the list of programs on our hard disk. It is probably something like Outlook Express but that is a guess on my part. This may be me being a numpty, but there are no icons that get us into emails. It may sound like a work-around - to get into VM, we type in Virgin, access their site and with it emails.

Looks like I'll have to abandon any changes to our encryption settings.

Last, is there anywhere setting out the where the etiquette is for use of this forum? For example, the use of Kudos; when should I use it - just once or every time someone responds? Also, this issue about private messages. Until you raised the matter, I wasn't aware that they existed, let alone I should only use them on certain occasions. To me this is nothing but a minefield.

Thanks

0 Kudos