Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Crafty
frankiew1

Symantec Email Proxy Deleted Message - Outlook 2007

[ Edited ]

I have just started using Outlook 2007 instead of Outlook Express having had the PC 'rebuilt' And continue to use Norton 360 though the version has been updated to Product Name: Norton 360

• Version: 4.3.0.5
  •  

Everything seems to fine, emails come and go as expected,  except yesterday I received an email from "Symantec Email Proxy" and the only content was :-

Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:

To: yyyyyyyyyyyyy@ntlworld.com

Subject: Enquiry to XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRestaurant - Ref: 20080312-7284-2615

I do get legitimate emails from this restaurant with menus details of special evenings etc.  I don't understand why this one would have been deleted in this way but what I understand even less is why this email is not in the 'bin' in webmail when every other email I've downloaded onto my email client is there in the bin.

[EDIT: removed private information]

Please use plain text.
    Fix-a-Lot
    Paul_B

Re: Symantec Email Proxy Deleted Message - Outlook 2007

Hi Frankiew1,

Is the message in your webmail inbox? Have you been able to configure Norton to always accept from this trusted source to prevent this fault again? I can only guess the way Norton handles the mail prevents the server from seeing it as downloaded thus stopping the webmail system placing it in the bin folder like it normally does.

Regards.

Paul Buchanan
    Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
    Please use plain text.
    Crafty
    frankiew1

Hi,

The message doesn't appear anywhere on webmail, not in the inbox or the bin.  Webmail is set up to delete email once downloaded by POP so that's why I expected it to be in the bin.  And I did look in  spam and it's not there either. 

I have now configured Norton antispam so that this email address is on the allowed list - I will just have to wait for them to send more mail - missed the opportunity for Valentine's day though :smileysad:  

Please use plain text.
    Omniscient
    slated

frankiew1 wrote:

I have just started using Outlook 2007 instead of Outlook Express having had the PC 'rebuilt' And continue to use Norton 360 though the version has been updated to Product Name: Norton 360

• Version: 4.3.0.5
  •  

Everything seems to fine, emails come and go as expected,  except yesterday I received an email from "Symantec Email Proxy" and the only content was :-

Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:

To: yyyyyyyyyyyyy@ntlworld.com

Subject: Enquiry to XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRestaurant - Ref: 20080312-7284-2615

I do get legitimate emails from this restaurant with menus details of special evenings etc.  I don't understand why this one would have been deleted in this way but what I understand even less is why this email is not in the 'bin' in webmail when every other email I've downloaded onto my email client is there in the bin.

[EDIT: removed private information]

Your webmail is set to delete once downloaded by Outlook, hence all emails in webmail are in the bin (for 30 days). However, this email was also deleted witihin Outlook by Norton - presumable deleted permanently, not left in the Outlook deleted items folder?

What happens to other emails you delete manually and also empty out of the deleted items folder? Do those emails still remain in the webmail bin? Are you using POP3 or IMAP?

Crafty
    frankiew1

I'm guessing the original email was totally deleted by Norton and all I got was the Symantec message telling me the restaurant's message had been deleted, the original message is not in my Outlook deleted items folder.

I am using POP3.

I've just logged in and looked at my webmail bin and I have 877 messages in there going back to 7 January but my deleted items folder in Outlook only goes back to 7 February.  Previously I used to empty OE deleted items on exit so everything up to 5 February has definitely been deleted from the email client.  I have not set up Outlook to do that yet.   

I've just logged out of webmail, deleted 4 gym booking confirmations from the Outlook deleted items and they are still in the webmail bin when I log in again.

So on the basis of the evidence I would say items deleted manually in Outlook remain in the webmail bin, presumably for 30days.  No ticks in the box in Outlook settings to delete from the server when deleted from Outlook either.

Please use plain text.