Menu
bobstyles
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Sylpheed as email client

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help.  Has anyone managed to set up their virginmedia emails to Sylpheed?  If so, be glad to know how!  Bob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sylpheed as email client

Never heard of it before today.

However - I've downloaded it and it's much the same as any other email client.

The setup was painless however the only thing that people might find confusing is the term userid.

userid is the same thing as username - That is your email address e.g. richardbaranson@virginmedia.com
Password - speaks for itself.

The settings are the same as for any other email client

Email ending                          Pop3                              IMAP                                SMTP                              Use SSL                    Use Authentication

blueyonder.co.uk                 pop3.blueyonder.co.uk   imap.blueyonder.co.uk     smtp.blueyonder.co.uk    Ticked for all servers.     Ticked
ntlworld.com                        pop3.ntlworld.com          imap.ntlworld.com            smtp.ntlworld.com           Ticked for all servers.     Ticked
virgin.net                             pop.virgin.net                  imap4.virgin.net                smtp.virgin.net                Ticked for all servers       Ticked
virginmedia.com                  pop3.virginmedia.com    imap.virginmedia.com      smtp.virginmedia.com     Ticked for all servers      Ticked

Note it automatically sets the correct ports when you tick SSL that is 995 for POP3, 993 for IMAP and 465 for SMTP

I did find that although it asks for the password when you connect it doesn't store the password in the account settings.  So the next time you connect it asks again.

To get round this from the menu click Configuration->Preferences for current account if this is your main account, or Configuration->Edit Accounts

Under the Basic Tab enter the username and password next to the server.  SMTP authentication defaults to the same username and password as inbound so there's no need to enter a username and password under outgoing.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

bobstyles
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sylpheed as email client

Thanks for the great reply. I'll give it a go after Christmas and let you know how I get on. Have a great day tomorrow. Cheers. Bob.
0 Kudos