Menu
alexg54
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Suddenly not receiving emails from known users

Hi,

I've had my @virgin.net email account for over 20 years and since the changeover to the new system I have had quite a few issues.

The latest problem is that without warning I have stopped receiving emails from at least 3 different senders who each use different email providers, e.g. one sender uses Apple mail, one uses BT while another uses Google mail. 

I read the advice given on this forum here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118 

I've tried changing the settings in webmail (changed spam settings to 'move message to spam folder') as suggested but this has not worked.

I often get time sensitive emails that I need to respond to almost immediately, this issue has caused a lot of inconvenience if not loss. 

Can anyone advise how to fix this please?

Kind regards

Alex

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suddenly not receiving emails from known users

Good news that. Phone in on 150/0345 454 1111 and chat the Broadband faults (they deal with e-mail) and ask them. Alternatively you should see the address if you log into My Virginmedia . Not there? Then phone in at get it linked .

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Maybe (almost certainly) this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-email-issues-please-read/td-p/3254156

And if you'll forgive me are you a current VM braodband customer and hs your e-mail address been linked to your BB account. Because if not the address is at risk of closure at any time and you should look for an alternative supplier of e-mail like Google (others are also available). VM mail addresses are only available (strictly) to VM BB customers.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
alexg54
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML,

Thanks for the super fast response.

I do currently have VM BB but how do I check to see if my email account is linked?

And if it isn't linked, how do I link it?

Thanks.

Alex

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good news that. Phone in on 150/0345 454 1111 and chat the Broadband faults (they deal with e-mail) and ask them. Alternatively you should see the address if you log into My Virginmedia . Not there? Then phone in at get it linked .

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
alexg54
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML,

Thanks for pointing that out. I tried to get my email linked to my current BB and TV services by phoning in but unfortunately it can't be done without first cancelling my .net address (which is still seen as an active account although no services are connected to it) then waiting a couple of weeks before phoning in to ask for it to be connected to my current services, that just sounds like too much of a gamble and I really don't want to take the risk.

I remember 2-3 years ago (or more) that I was asked to confirm that I had VM services otherwise my email service would be 'ceased', I did confirm and it could be why my .net account is still currently seen by VM systems as active and why it hasn't already been disconnected.

I must say, as someone who's had a virgin.net account for 25 years or more, it seems like an unfortunate way of handling things. I appreciate that VM is not in the business of providing a free email service but it must be obvious to any BB provider that when they give and encourage customers to take up an email address as part of services offered that the email service can only be of use if it is something you can depend on secure, reliable and permanent otherwise nobody would use it? 

I would much rather be offered an option to pay a reasonable yearly fee to keep my longest established email address running rather than be faced with an ungracious loss to what acts as a living record of important conversations covering the past 25 years. 

Appreciate this is a problem caused by decision makers at the top in VM but it really shows them up as a bunch of number crunchers as opposed to businessmen operating in the spirit of the Virgin brand.

Sorry for the moan, not directed at you, you've been very helpful...

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'll be short but not sweet with you. And I've also applied this lesson to myself. So I practice what I preach.

Give up on VM e-mail. All of it and all addresses that you use. The TV, broadband and phone services are OK but e-mail is an horrendous mess. The previous Google based service was too. This is nothing new.

Move all your e-mail traffic to a non-ISP based web mail provider. Many of them allow to you to manage mail via an e-mail client too. There are major advantages. Easier when you travel. No fiddling with settings or hitting sending limit problems. The web mail interfaces are often better than VM's offering. I use Outlook on the web and it is clean and clear. Lovely. And if you ever leave VM you will not have all the palaver of notifying your contacts of change of address.

I've moved across gradually and it works.

I have nothing but sympathy for what you say and I identify with your views it completely.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi alexg54, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your emails. 

We did have an issue with virgin.net emails around the time you posted, but this has now been resolved. 

If you are still having trouble let us know and i will be happy to take a further look into this for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos