Menu
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Suddenly can't access virgin.net emails - not Talk Talk

Hi - I have 4 virgin.net email addresses one of which is my primary email.  Everything was fine until around 4pm yesterday, since when none of the email addresses can receive any mail.

I have tried webmail, usual mail client and phone app and all say a log in error - either name or password is incorrect.  All 4 are using the same log in details as always

To be honest I came here hoping to see lots of people with the same issue and that is was a virgin issue that is being resolved!

Given there are 4 separate accounts being used by different people I can't see it is anything from my end

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suddenly can't access virgin.net emails - not Talk Talk

I've rung 150 - no use obviously!

Ring back in 24 hours if it doesn't come back was the result.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It may be that the accounts have been locked by VM as they have noticed unusual activity on the account.  To get them unlocked you will need to ring 0800 052 9429

paulah99
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham - is that different service to 150?  They didn't seem to know much!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It is the number that vm ask you to call for locked accounts, so I guess they should be geared up for the issue, which the general 150 team might not be.
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK so here is what happened in case it is useful to anyone else.

I have had a virgin.net email for about a hundred years - well since 1997.  Then I got Cable TV from NTL - which was taken over by Virgin.  I had to have an ntlworld email address with this - which I have never used (but they still have registered as my email). I now have broadband, phone and TV with Virgin.

For years I used to have a nightmare calling Virgin with any internet issues as they used to say you are a National customer and not on our list  - the two old accounts could not be merged on their system.  That all seemed to have gone away in the last few years.

Or so I thought!

So because Virgin was still not recognising my virgin.net addresses as linked to my current cable service they had assumed this was a dead account and was labelled to be treated as a Talk Talk one.  Because there has been £5 credit sitting on this account since 2007 nothing has happened until now.

The very nice man on the gold dust telephone number was able to work all this out eventually - so they will force close the old 'National' account and transfer the emails across to the Virginmedia account.  This will take another 24 hours but at least I will be able to access my emails again.

Thanks so much to Graham as I was going round in circles with this

0 Kudos
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK I could still do with a bit of help with this as I am still locked out of my emails.

0 Kudos
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When I spoke to the guy on Thursday he was brilliant and said he had put in a request to move the email accounts over to my Virgin account - and this would take 25 hours so they should be back up and running Friday evening.
On friday evening still no email so I called again. This lady didn't seem as clued up as the original guy and basically said well it can take up to 48 hours so wait until then.
Today still no emails.
I have rung again and the guy said oh just give it a few more hours.

I am now really worried I am never going to get back into my email account - I'm fairly sure nothing is going to happen in the next few hours if it has taken this long.

Anybody have any suggestions? Are there any times when you are more likely to get the UK guys on that 0800 number as they seem to be more technical.
thanks
0 Kudos
paulah99
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A - sorry to unmark your post as helpful - my understand from other threads is that it shows my problem has been solved so is unlikely to get further advice. Please correct me if this is wrong.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi paulah99, 

Thanks for your posts and apologies to hear you are still waiting on being able to access your emails. 

Since posting, have you been able to access your emails? 

Once a move and transfer is performed, it's always best to do a reset of your password. 

Your best bet is to give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 to double check the move and transfer has gone ahead. This can be easily checked and if it has they can then reset the password to some generic. 

You can then sign in to Webmail and reset the password to something more secure Smiley Happy

Let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos