Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7 (477 Views)

Strange Email Suppose To Be From Virginmedia

[ Edited ]

I received an email which says Virgin,actual sender @ntlworld.com

Now the email is about security and I need to update my information. As Virgin email has been having problems lately(which is has).  I clicked the link and got a GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW message on the screen.  So looks like a scam email.

Anyone else get this one?

Oh and I running scans just in case.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 7 (885 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah
‎19-05-2017 18:01

Re: Strange Email Suppose To Be From Virginmedia

The latest one listed on the Security forum is this: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-19-05-2017/m-p/3427406#U34...

You can check there for other recent ones as well.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 3 of 7 (878 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah

delilah wrote:

Now the email is about security and I need to update my information. As Virgin email has been having problems lately(which is has).  I clicked the link and got a GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW message on the screen.  So looks like a scam email.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Emails which ask the recipient to click on this link to resolve activation, account, security or any other issues are invariably malicious. Links contained in unsolicited emails should never be clicked on.

End of.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Superuser
Message 5 of 7 (809 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah
‎20-05-2017 07:06

cybmole wrote:

the BIG BIG clue is that Virgin don't do email.  you cant email them , they don't email you.

Actually, they do email you.  But they will never ever ask you to click a link to update your security information.

I've had legitimate emails from Virgin Media for a number of reasons, not least a survey about customer services.  Those links NEVER ask for security details, credit cards etc.

The most recent was a survey about their letters, and no that didn't ask me for any personal information either.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Message 7 of 7 (609 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah
‎22-05-2017 08:23

[ Edited ]
Email addresses can be spoofed very easily, so the owner of the ntlworld address is most likely not the one sending the mail.

While there are methods that will reduce the likelihood of spoofing, they don't prevent it altogether.

btw Virgin Media don't use addresses ending in ntlworld.com for official communication. So there's a big clue there that it is fake.

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 7 (886 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah

The latest one listed on the Security forum is this: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-19-05-2017/m-p/3427406#U34...

You can check there for other recent ones as well.

Wise owl
Message 3 of 7 (879 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah

delilah wrote:

Emails which ask the recipient to click on this link to resolve activation, account, security or any other issues are invariably malicious. Links contained in unsolicited emails should never be clicked on.

End of.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Community elder
Message 4 of 7 (444 Views)

the BIG BIG clue is that Virgin don't do email.  you cant email them , they don't email you.

makes it very easy to spot the fakes Smiley Happy

if Virgin have a big  network/security issue, you may read about it in the press, or here, but you for sure will not get an email about it

Superuser
Message 5 of 7 (810 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah
‎20-05-2017 07:06

cybmole wrote:

Actually, they do email you.  But they will never ever ask you to click a link to update your security information.

I've had legitimate emails from Virgin Media for a number of reasons, not least a survey about customer services.  Those links NEVER ask for security details, credit cards etc.

The most recent was a survey about their letters, and no that didn't ask me for any personal information either.

Joining in
Message 6 of 7 (362 Views)

I HAVE HAD EXACTLY THE SAME EMAIL ABOUT SECURITY. IT COMES FROM A MALE WITH AN NTLWORLD.COM ADDRESS.

EVEN SHOWS THEIR FULL  EMAIL ADDRESS, OBVIOUSLY I DIDN'T CLICK ON THE SUPPLIED LINK ,, IT SEEMS TO BE ALL TOO PREVALENT

AND IT IT'S A DAILY OCCURRENCE  THESE DAYS. IT STRIKES ME IT WONT BE LONG BEFORE WE WONT WANT TO BE OPENING ANY EMAILS 

AT ALL....

Superuser
Message 7 of 7 (610 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by delilah
‎22-05-2017 08:23

[ Edited ]
Email addresses can be spoofed very easily, so the owner of the ntlworld address is most likely not the one sending the mail.

While there are methods that will reduce the likelihood of spoofing, they don't prevent it altogether.

btw Virgin Media don't use addresses ending in ntlworld.com for official communication. So there's a big clue there that it is fake.