Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9 (172 Views)

Stopped receiving e-mail

My daughter has a @virginmedia.com mail address and has recently stopped receiving mail via this address.  She gets a lot of spam, but none of the important stuff.  She has missed mail from UCAS, her new university and student finance over the past 2 weeks.  There are no filters set and these are not going straight to spam.  There is no option on the 150 phone line to discuss e-mail.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 9 (154 Views)

Re: Stopped receiving e-mail

There really isn't enough information to make any type of well-informed guess at what may be going on. I'll suggest a scenario and you tell us if it is near the mark. Then we might be able to make progress.

Your daughter is not the VM broadband customer. One of you or your partner (if you have one) is the customer. Your daughter's address is therefore one you have created on your account. Your daughter is using VM web mail to collect her mail. she is collecting at home over your VM braodband link and also everywhere else using public wifi and 3/4G telephone networks

What happens if you try to send her an e-mail from your address. Does it get through or does it bounce back. If it bounces can we see the bounce message and the header of the returned e-mail. Remove all names before the @ symbol in e-mail addresses.

Clearly the address in question is allowing some e-mail through because your daughter is getting spam. But I wonder if somehow some auto-forwarding setting has got into this. Ask her to check her web mail settings urgently.  Auto-forwarding is a different setting from filters.  

If I am off the mark please tell us what is happening. We'll try to get to the bottom of this.

E-mail is dealt with under broadband faults on the phone menu when you ring VM.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Joining in
Message 3 of 9 (138 Views)

Thanks. Your scenario is correct. I have sent a mail from my ntlworld address and it arrived immediately. If I send mail from my work address it can take hours to arrive. There are no filters set and no info on the auto forward screen.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 9 (130 Views)

You need to check the filters and auto-forward screens for your daughter's e-mail address.

The delay for e-mails sent from work is not exceptional. But they do arrive.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 9 (126 Views)

Both are blank.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 9 (111 Views)

Need to have a further think about this. No obvious reason to suspect the VM mail system yet. Will come back tomorrow.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 9 (90 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have been giving this further thought. In addition one of my Forum friends has been looking at this as well (@BillC45) and must have credit for the ideas.

Are you sure you are describing the issue correctly. Is it that the e-mails don't arrive (in which case how does she know) or is that they do arrive but are late or are deleted shortly afterwards. There is a point on this below which I would bet on.

Has your daughter received emails sent to this address from UCAS, University and Student Loans etc in the recent past?

Has she checked that they all have the correct address of this (presumably) new student and that it hasn’t been misspelt? I wonder how diligent UCAS is at dealing with Non-Delivery-Reports amongst the thousands of emails they send and receive at this time of year.

What is her address spam filter setting – should be “Move message to spam folder” obviously. So anything suspected of being spam goes into the spam folder – even if it’s from UCAS. The spam settings are in web mail. 

How is she accessing her emails? PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone? – I hope that it’s not a phone which is misconfigured to delete emails from the inbox after a few elapsed days (open the email app – it syncs and deletes certain emails in the blink of an eye – which you don’t detect if you are not staring hard at the screen). I think this is a strong possibility

Have all deleted/trash folders been examined on all devices?

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9 (72 Views)

Thanks for your continuing efforts to help with this.  We know the mails are not arriving as she has contacted the uni by phone and confirmed her e-mail address with them and discussed what she should have received.  She had initial acceptance mails from Student Loans, but nothing further unlike other students.  Again the address has been verified by phone.  She is overcoming these issues by using her old gmail address.  Her spam filter on VM is as you describe.  She is using one of 2 laptops - she is the only teen on the planet who refuses to use a mobile!

We have considered deleting the account and setting it up again using the same user name, or she will just use the gmail going forward.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 9 (64 Views)

Without some evidence to look at (like returned e-mail headers and error messages) we'll have a hard time to track down the cause of what your daughter is seeing. Going with GMail is a pragmatic solution and in any event not using ISP linked e-mail is always a good idea. I'll keep my thinking cap on.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos