Menu
Beanie65
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Spam!!!!!

Virgin Media For goodness sake, sort your SPAM filters out. Once again I am being inundated with spam emails. This is the 4th time in the last 18 months when all of a sudden I am getting an abundance of spam emails a day asking me to make contact with beautiful Russian women, or to increase the size of my manhood, a great new credit card, a special voucher code. You tell me to change my email password, 4 times now I have done that. I don't use my VM email for anything other than my work email. I use Gmail for everything else. I'm slowly losing the will to live with VM Mail and if that's not bad enough my 200mb broadband keeps turning off! Why am earth am I paying you all this money if you cannot give me the service I need!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam!!!!!

Hi Beanie65,

Really sorry for the issues you've reported.

To be totally honest the recent influx of Spam mail is most likely linked to this. The previous 'reject all spam' default setting in webmail resulted in our customers reporting not receiving mail and companies reporting being unable to send mail to VM domains. So we responded by altering the default settings.

That is just the setting that is selected by default though.  If you wish to you may alter your spam settings in VM webmail and choose one which suits you best.

With regards to your broadband disconnections I have tested your connection and see that  your Hub has been online for the past 6 days so I'd like a little more information please so that I can help with this:

• Does your Hub power off/reboot/reset?
  • Do the lights go off or change in any other way?
  • Do all devices, both wired and wireless, lose connection?
  • Is any error message returned?
  • Does this happen at any specific time of day?

I'll look out for your reply so we can decide on how to address this issue Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

To be totally honest the recent influx of Spam mail is most likely linked to this.

There is not a connection between the changes Virgin Media began to make on the 28th of November to correct the inappropriate default spam-rejection settings for all accounts and the sudden upswing of reports of large quantities of imaged-based spam being delivered to a few inboxes. The reports of large quantities of spam to the inbox began days before Virgin Media is said to have started making changes to correct the inappropriate systematic spam rejection which led to hundreds of complaints from senders and recipients since August 2015. These are not people reporting large quantities of spam arriving in their spam folder. It is a mistake to conflate the two issues, unless of course, Virgin Media has additional information about other changes to spam filtering which were not announced. The first reports of some users receiving large quantities of blatant spam began shortly before November 20th.

Here are cases:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/SPAM/td-p/3263325

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam/td-p/3263569

Virgin Media announced changes to the default spam settings more than a week later on November 28th.  The changes to the spam settings have no effect on email being delivered to the inbox, only email being delivered to spam folders.

Note that there is considerable overlap between people with the "hacked" and chronically spoofed accounts and those reporting large quantities of blatant spam to their inboxes which is bypassing the filters.  The large group of people with chronically spoofed accounts may be a population who are being specifically targeted.  Lack of accurate diagnosis and informed investigation of specific problems such as these continues to cause your users to move away from Virgin Media email accounts and in a few cases your whole service as well. 

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wrock,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...There is not a connection between the changes Virgin Media began to make on the 28th of November to correct the inappropriate default spam-rejection settings for all accounts and the sudden upswing of reports of large quantities of imaged-based spam being delivered to a few inboxes..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you. The spam should now deliver to the spam folder, not the Inbox. However the OP on this thread didn't state that he was receiving spam to his Inbox so I feel my reply is pertinent to the reported issue.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos