Menu
beapabacor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Spam filter not working - same spam appearing everyday

Seem to get the same spam email everyday, despite using the 'mark as spam' option.

The spam email in question is always the same format:

Hi <username>

<image>

Unsubscribe

Different subject each day, trying to sell me medical insurance, life insurance, injury compensation, credit card - I keep marking these emails as spam, but every day at least two new ones appear.

Can VM look into this?

Thanks

dadge
Tuning in
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam filter not working - same spam appearing everyday

Perhaps we were all spoilt by how good the spam filter was when Virgin used the Google email platform, but it's so frustrating that the new platform is still having "teething problems" after several months. It did seem to be reasonably okay for a while, so either they've now added a patch that's actually made things worse, or the spammers are learning how to get around whatever crude filter has been put in place.

Please Virgin, let us know you're sorry and that you're working on it. And FIX THE SPAM!!

Tags (1)
beapabacor
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone from VirginMedia looking into this, or is this thread being ignored?

0 Kudos
peggysmum
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

bit like mine, they dont seem to want to know. I guess they just want us to put up with it.

Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi beapabacor,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear about the problems your experiencing around spam. I can appreciate this is frustrating for you.

Our spam filters need training over time so on occasions spam mail may get through the filters I'm afraid. If you use the 'mark as spam' option on webmail this will train the filters into learning what is spam what isn't. Could you let me know how you've set the spam filter in webmail. Is it set to reject all spam?

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
beapabacor
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I'm using the 'Mark as Spam' option on all of them, but it makes little difference.  They are the same format everytime, the only difference is the name of the sender and the email subject.  It's apparent as I get at least two everyday, the spam filter doesn't appear to be learning.

My Spam filter is set to reject all spam.

0 Kudos
pete159
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same problem. All seem to be from same source but marking them as spam doesn't stop them getting through.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
dazd
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Acceptable advice from the VM forum member......... BUT.......... it aint working! The more spam emails I seem to mark, the more appear the next day or even later that day. YOUR SPAM FILTERS AREN'T LEARNING!!!!

In another reply, a VM forum member said it's because the spam filters are still in the learning phase (what? after 3 months??????) and will be like this for some considerable time. So how much longer are we going to have to put up with this increase in spam? 10-15 years ago I could purchase software which would filter spam out of the box better than VMs filters are filtering right now (after 3 months), then with a little learning it would pretty much get everything after 1-2 weeks. But 3 months down the line and spam is increasing, not decreasing. I have my setting to mark email as spam and move into the spam folder yet nothing gets put into the spam folder, it stays in my inbox and is NOT marked as spam.

Have Virgin Media purchased the bargain basement spam filter from the aisles of Poundland? Because honestly, that's what it seems.

For the first month, maybe 2, none of this was happening, virtually no spam appeared and everything was great, then suddenly this past month, all hell has broken loose with spam. So the conclusion HAS to be that VM have done something to break the filters but won't admit it, just keep blurting out the "the filters are in the learning phase" line.

Do VM read any of these complaints? I think they MAY glance at them but that's about it. I think the problem is also that there isn't internal departmental communication within VM so the people trying to support us on here can only tell us what they are told or what they are told to say. It's like the more senior people in VM are completely disconnected from the customers.

So although I don't blame the support people who interact on here, I'm sure they are doing the best job they can, unfortunately, you are our line of comms with VM so you get it full on from us. You guys need to be pushing this much higher with a lot of urgency. If you are then fantastic and thank you, if you aren't then you're not doing your job and not supporting us as much as you should.

There, rant over.

Daz

PI
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem once again! I thought this matter had been resolved but for last few weeks had lots of spam in inbox and none in spam. Filters correctly ticked also. I have rang virgin on a couple of occasions who stated there are no issues and that no other customers have raised this issue, I find this hard to believe? I am marking each one as spam this is not making any difference. Did not have a problem before the changes. It's a pain in the backside, Virgin please sort this out.
hoops65
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi I agree for past 2 weeks I have been getting similar sort of spam 6-7 times a day.  I have marked it as spam but it still comes through although occasionally it is caught.

Never had this before with the old mail system, or indeed any other system I have used

As for the spam filters learning, yes they do need to learn but also spam is a constantly evolving nuisence therefore they cannot learn over a period of months.

At least I am over 18, some of this should not be seen by minors!