Menu
CaroleS
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Spam email

I am TOTALLY fed up with getting heaps and heaps of spam mail since you changed the system. I do not want loans, car insurance, ppi, and all that c***, why does your filter not work as it used to? Seriously thinking of ditching Virgin now, service is total rubbish and I hear a rumour that prices are going up AGAIN, although officially I have not yet been informed.

Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam email

Hi CaroleS,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear you're receiving a lot of spam emails. I can appreciate this is frustrating for you.

Our spam filters are new and need to be trained which is why some spam gets through to you. Over time as the 'mark as spam' option is used the filters will grow in efficiency. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you in the meantime and thanks for all your patience.

Regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Nicotene
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You've been saying this for months but I still get the same spam even though I mark the same ones every time. You'll maybe get 1 day without any then 3 days of exactly the same stuff.

profshorthair
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Me too. Spam filters are not learning.

0 Kudos
Smeghead69
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same here. I have now have numerous emails asking me to claim my free £500 argos voucher, and well as numerous offers for windows and iphones.

Mark them as spam, and a day later get another email into my inbox.

All these spam use the beginning part of my email (e.g jboggs@ntlworld.com), and the email starts "Hi jboggs" I can see straight away from this that it is spam.

I have recently created my own auto-responser email system using exchange server, which reads the contents of incoming emails to retrieve a reference number and process correctly into our case management system. This took me a couple of hours to setup, and must be similar to how a spam filter work.

Can you not setup a email rule within webmail to scan the contents of the email to move to spam? 

I am also fed up of seeing forum staff saying their spam filters are learning, but they have been like this 5 months, so you either have a dumb spam filter that can't learn or no spam filter at all.

CaroleS
Dialled in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same here, all they could suggest on the phone was 'monitor it for a day or two, mark them as spam and the filters will learn'  despite the fact I told them I had already been doing just that. I am also getting the Argos ones several times a day, thing is even if you block them they use several different domain names even though it looks like they come from the same sender, so you have to keep blocking each one.  To be honest Virgin service just continues to get worse, instead of keep bleating on about increasing speed (and putting prices up) they should concentrate on learning how to make the equipment they already have work properly!

CaroleS
Dialled in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So, the same spam emails still coming through offering Argo vouchers, mortgages, loans, etc etc , seems the filters are very slow learners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi CaroleS,

Thanks for your posts regarding spam and I'm sorry to hear you continue to receive the same spam emails. I can appreciate this is very frustrating for you.

Along with your ongoing vigilance in 'marking as spam' our email team are looking to role out upgrades that will hopefully address the ongoing spam you've been receiving although we don't have an exact timescale for this at the moment.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
CaroleS
Dialled in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry Stephen, and no offence, but your reply is frankly ridiculous!!   For just how long are Virgin going to continue feeding it's PAYING customers such garbage? Quite honestly, I worked for an IT company, and if the techies sorting out our web site and technology problems took so long to resolve simple problems they would have been out on their ear! Since we are having to do most of the filtering for ourselves, and this is supposed to be part of the package we pay for, do I assume there will be some kind of compensation applied to our accounts when/if Virgin ever get it sorted?

Just to show how ridiculous this problem has become, Virgin actually marked an email to me from themselves as spam!!!! At the same time they decided that an important email from my local Neighbourhood Watch team (which has been sending me emails for several years without problem) was spam, si I didn;t get it until I checked online.

I am sick and tired of having to log on to the virgin site to check my emails, and you can probably gather I am now really angry with Virgin Media.  I would also like to know why I always have to log in to the forum when I never log out and have also checked the box to 'keep me signed in'  On top of this, every time I do try to log in lately it will not accept my password so I have to change it - and each time when I enter a new one, I just use the same one again, which is then accepted. When I try to check the forum again later no doubt I will have to log in again and probably the 'new' old password will be rejected again

Tags (1)
CaroleS
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

SO, I replied to your last, totally unhelpful message and to date have not even had the courtesy of a response! The number of spam emails has not reduced at all, in fact I have had 4 in an hour earlier this evening.  Do I take it from the silence that the experts at Virgin Media have STILL not taught the servers how to differentiate?