Menu
Lubell29
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Spam Emails letter

Both my husband and I have recently been asked to change our email password because spam is apparently coming from our accounts.  How do I find out more information about what this spam is?  

We have no viruses and no malware coming up on scans.  My husbands email account is unused for months at a time and is not on our Outlook.

Is this just a clever way to try and sell you software?

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Emails letter

No, it's not, unfortunately.  All email messages contain headers, which is where the message came from, and where it's going to.

This is explained here: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/View-e-mail-message-headers-cd039382-dc6e-4264-ac74-c048563...

You have been advised to change your passwords as your email accounts may have been hacked.  However, this may not be the case and your email address may have been "borrowed" randomly, which has happened to me in the past with other providers.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Emails letter

Hello Lubell29

I am sorry you have received one of these letters it can be quite disconcerting however I would like to assure you it is not about selling you software. Basically in your case we have noticed people/robots logging into your account from around the world using your password, they are then sending spam email from the account. We have to put a stop to that and need to inform you of it. We do not know how they obtained your password but best guess is either they either guessed it or perhaps you have malware on one of your devices harvesting it and telling them, we simply do not know so we do our best to advise you accordingly www.virginmedia.com/offspam

Hope that helps

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos