Menu
nimro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spam Content Found bounce message

Hi

A client is receiving bounce messages for emails they are sending to Virgin, NTL, etc addresses. They are sending direct emails (not bulk) and these are being bounced with 554 5.2.0 Spam content found messages.

They are using properly-configured Office 365 email accounts with valid SPF records.

Please can someone contact me in order to fix this issue.

Thanks.

PS: Surely you should accept-and-tag suspected spam rather than bouncing it?

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Content Found bounce message

Nimro,

Sorry to say, you are a long way from being alone. You might find this thread an interesting read. (although sadly not a solution)

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Problems-delivering-to-Virgin-domains/td-p/3222224

Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

nimro wrote:

Surely you should accept-and-tag suspected spam rather than bouncing it?

Hello nimro,

Can you confirm that your client has success delivering similar messages to other domains not managed by Virgin Media, such as Gmail, hotmail, AOL, and Yahoo!?  Virgin Media manages blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com, virgin.net, and virginmedia.com.

Absolutely, Virgin Media should be accepting and tagging these spam messages.  Ravenstar68 explains how Virgin Media has set their customers up for an extremely unusual and dysfunctional experience,

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

The unfortunate result is that many holders of Virgin Media accounts are not receiving all of the legitimate email which is being sent to them, a problem resolved most rapidly by the Virgin Media customer opening and using a free email account elsewhere such as at Google. 

You'll find an extremely long list of others filing reports similar to yours since last autumn here:

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

-Wrock.

nimro
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wrock wrote:
Can you confirm that your client has success delivering similar messages to other domains not managed by Virgin Media, such as Gmail, hotmail, AOL, and Yahoo!?  Virgin Media manages blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com, virgin.net, and virginmedia.com

Hi Wrock

I can confirm my client is able to email any other domain successfully. blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com, and virginmedia.com are the domains we are having issues with this. I assumed it was related since VM owns the former two companies!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi nimro,

Please accept my apologies for the problems your client is having. I would like to investigate this with no further delay and have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) requesting the header data. As soon as I get your reply I'll be able to flag this to Postmaster so that we can discover what's triggering the spam alert.

Speak soon,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
RobbyD
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just joined the forum to try and get this issue resolved.

If I send and email to myself or cc myself on an email I get the spam content found bounce back message (its been happening since the 6/11). All other email comes in normally. Had 3 hours on the phone with the Virgin folk last Friday but still have the problem. Have spent all day uninstalling and re-installing live mail and trying other stuff but no change. Can someone point me in the right direction???

Cheers, Rob

0 Kudos
nimro
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen_A

Thanks for you reply, I have sent you a PM with details.

nimro

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

RobbyD wrote:

Hi, just joined the forum to try and get this issue resolved.

If I send and email to myself or cc myself on an email I get the spam content found bounce back message (its been happening since the 6/11). All other email comes in normally. Had 3 hours on the phone with the Virgin folk last Friday but still have the problem. Have spent all day uninstalling and re-installing live mail and trying other stuff but no change. Can someone point me in the right direction???

Cheers, Rob

Yes - please start your own thread and don't jump in on someone else's. Your problem may have a different explanation.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@nimro

PS: Surely you should accept-and-tag suspected spam rather than bouncing it?

You'll see from my post that Wrock referenced earlier, that I 100% agree with the above statement.  I've been saying so since the email was introduced that the default reject policy was a bad idea.  I know the Forum Team have also been passing this on, however the email team appear not to understand this simple fact.

Out of interest which company do you work for?  I know we've seen other major ESPs like dotmailer impacted by Virgin's Spam filters.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos