Menu
idkwia
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry if this is a dumb question but....

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't know the answer.

I use Outlook with Windows10 for my email. My understanding is that emails come and go via the Virgin Media email platform. Is there a way of cutting out the Virgin Media email platform so that emails come and go more direct?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sorry if this is a dumb question but....

Not unless you set up your own email server. Your mail provider can be your ISP or a separate company who provide email services.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the website is just a different way of accessing the email severs, you can set the your outlook to delete all emails so they delete from the virginmedia servers, just means if you delete them from the server there gone for good..so possible best leaving it the way it is.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi idkwa

Certainly not everyone uses Outlook, that's for sure. However, I think it's fair to say that a lot of VM customers do use Outlook or a similar email client such as Thunderbird to manage their emails. For those of us who also have email accounts outside the VM world then an email client is an obvious way to go.

However, there are advantages in using Outlook or a similar client even if you only have VM email accounts. Two that come immediately to mind are:

1) Outlook gives a better and much more flexible user experience than VM provide in their webmail offering. For example the rules (filters) in Outlook are more flexible and reliable than those provided by VM. That's my opinion anyway.

2) Signing into VM webmail from your browser can often prove to be a frustrating and lengthy process whereas the pop3/IMAP access to receive and send  your emails via Outlook is pretty reliable and painless - once you've got the correct settings of course.

The truth is that rather than following what other people do, the 'best' option is the approach that works best for you and that you feel most comfortable with. For me that's Outlook but it might not be the best way for you.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.

All Replies
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not unless you set up your own email server. Your mail provider can be your ISP or a separate company who provide email services.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the website is just a different way of accessing the email severs, you can set the your outlook to delete all emails so they delete from the virginmedia servers, just means if you delete them from the server there gone for good..so possible best leaving it the way it is.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
idkwia
Up to speed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PaulTechy and Tudor, thanks so much for the answers.

So, am I right in thinking that  everyone/most people, actually use the VM website to manage their emails or do they use Outlook similar to me?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi idkwa

Certainly not everyone uses Outlook, that's for sure. However, I think it's fair to say that a lot of VM customers do use Outlook or a similar email client such as Thunderbird to manage their emails. For those of us who also have email accounts outside the VM world then an email client is an obvious way to go.

However, there are advantages in using Outlook or a similar client even if you only have VM email accounts. Two that come immediately to mind are:

1) Outlook gives a better and much more flexible user experience than VM provide in their webmail offering. For example the rules (filters) in Outlook are more flexible and reliable than those provided by VM. That's my opinion anyway.

2) Signing into VM webmail from your browser can often prove to be a frustrating and lengthy process whereas the pop3/IMAP access to receive and send  your emails via Outlook is pretty reliable and painless - once you've got the correct settings of course.

The truth is that rather than following what other people do, the 'best' option is the approach that works best for you and that you feel most comfortable with. For me that's Outlook but it might not be the best way for you.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
idkwia
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Coenoby, very informative.

I already use Outlook with IMAP and on the whole it works pretty well. I asked my questions because it occurred to me that maybe those in the know were doing something essentially different, but it seems not so I am happy!

Thanks again for your very useful answer.
0 Kudos