Menu
El_Defensor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Someone uses (my*) email address

I know that an email address can only be registered to one person, & once that person has an address (until they relinquish it) it stays with them - & only them.

That said, someone else has been using the registered address. Once discovered the other person was advised [a postal address & business info was included in 1 email] to stop, & to choose another address. This they seemed to do for several months but have again started using (my*) address.

Obviously any mail they hope to receive will never reach them (we all know where it's going...) Smiley Surprised

Thing is, this "offender" apparently works for Virgin Media! (dept unknown).

Q:  Do Virgin Media really employ such dim individuals?       {apparently they do!}

♦ (my*) = a friend.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Someone uses (my*) email address

I'd be interested to see the content of one of these mails.

It's unlikely a genuine Virgin Media employee would be using your email address.  If it's for Virgin Media business they have their own addresses, which utilise different domains to the residential domains.

However I don't work for Virgin yourself so such interest is merely curiosity, as I'm wondering if the mail is part of a phishing scam.

However what you should do is report this here - http://netreport.virginmedia.com using email account hijacking on the dropdown list.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

El_Defensor
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As the emails contained personal info publishing them here (or anywhere else) ain't goin' to happen. The actual recipient has deleted all but the very latest one anyway.

However, having looked into this carefully I'm sure it's not a phishing scam, the person concerned has an authenticated postal address & they gave Virgin Media as their business contact.

I agree it seems unlikely but you only have to browse these boards to see how many unlikely things Virgin Media have actually done. Personally I know of many.

It was reported to VM at the outset and the response received was to simply ignore it (for reasons previously mentioned).

I'm sure that person will get the message (no pun intended) when they realise no-one is replying to them -- or when their superior at VM wakens them up Man LOL

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello El_Defensor

As ravenstar68 mentioned it may well be a phishing scam. It is highly unlikely that an employee would do it or have access to passwords however we do take this seriously. Our security team would like you to fill in the form http://netreport.virginmedia.com/ so they may investigate.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
El_Defensor
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned previously it's not a phishing scam (if you'd seen the content as I have you'd know that). Unlikely as it may seem, these things do happen, & this person definitely gave Virgin Media as their business contact.It's been reported but nothing has come back from that (ball's still in your court).
Simple fact is that this person will get nowhere using anothers' email address as they'll never get the replies they're hoping for. Rather dim-witted I'd say, but such people do exist.
0 Kudos