All my emails arrive via a forwarding service (it means I can use my own domain rather than ntlworld.com etc), and in general this works fine. However, in the last week or two, some emails have been seriously delayed. At first, I thought this was a problem with the forwarding service, since the delay appeared to be between entering and leaving their network; however, those same emails are also forwarded to a Gmail account, and they were not delayed in that case. I can only assume that VM's inbound mail server is sometimes failing to accept a connection, and the forwarding service then retries some hours later. Has anyone else been experiencing this, please, and can anyone explain what's going on and why?
Here are the email headers for one of the worst examples (sent 0944 Friday, arrived 1946 Sunday!) with personal data blanked out:
Return-Path: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Delivered-To: email@example.com Received: from md14.tb.ukmail.iss.local ([184.108.40.206]) by mc24.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id YrrUAx3+7lb2DQAAsNwiEA for <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:46:48 +0100 Received: from mx5.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net ([220.127.116.11]) by md14.tb.ukmail.iss.local (Dovecot) with LMTP id 0PDKLuGmsFZzBQAAQ1T0tw ; Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:46:48 +0100 Received: from mout.kundenserver.de ([18.104.22.168]) by mx5.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net with bizsmtp id YKmm1s00a2u6bDQ01KmnuG; Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:46:48 +0100 X-SourceIP: 22.214.171.124 X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=LLGbO8i9 c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=UZgto5HXUhIrE6CrjMOz5Q==:117 a=p6/x8qnSXEzl28BeIbz+yg==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=7OsogOcEt9IA:10 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=vr3c9TUCAAAA:8 a=uXlAblXDAAAA:8 a=KHEH5ouYAAAA:8 a=o5zUxTprvN6fYkFfpEsA:9 a=GX4tLHed3yGMymrV:21 a=JGU2jrRAVWlkrOP0:21 a=RRiGH-wEx22QwSqR:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=p403mkujtbAA:10 Received: from [126.96.36.199] ([188.8.131.52]) by mx.kundenserver.de (mxeue008) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 0Lw33s-1Zk7HM4AjF-017lS2 for <email@example.com>; Fri, 18 Mar 2016 10:44:47 +0100 Received: from mail2119.h-l.co.uk ([184.108.40.206]) by mx.kundenserver.de (mxeue008) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 0LjHBu-1a5Zzu4AZD-00dXG0 for <yyyyyy@zzzzzz>; Fri, 18 Mar 2016 10:44:45 +0100 DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; s=spop; d=h-l.co.uk; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:Message-IDubject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:List-Unsubscribe; firstname.lastname@example.org; bh=VFNODMYQqdRh0l784ywj/lRoSPY=; b=bEZEz0pIbvva1j7PZATu5RqvzGgf7+OmVRYLJh0xH/yal1XA2ubk3K0IoJgEwabbaFjwzfAxfXXX MIL/JnweJg== DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; s=spop; d=h-l.co.uk; b=PFtSn0XOM0zlesrTqsX8aSHRKxoQlpOAwvDEDaza5OEqwf2BSwLiHTbe1unGPNNYNsXMCRallqyG NFvviTQ2aw==; Received: by mail2119.h-l.co.uk id htf70s19if49 for <yyyyyy@zzzzzz>; Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:44:43 +0000 (envelope-from <email@example.com>) Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:44:43 +0000 (GMT) From: Hargreaves Lansdown <firstname.lastname@example.org> Reply-To: email@example.com To: yyyyyy@zzzzzz
Yes! I am having the same problem. I moaned at my domain name supplier, but after setting up a dual forward, it doesn't look like it is anything to do with them. Email arrives in my gmail account, but not my NTLWorld account. Perhaps it is time we ask what Virgin is up to with our emails. I could be losing valuable receipts and online transaction details, because everything uses my domain name email address and not my NTLWorld.Com one.
I looked a bit further, and it seems that my emails can come from a number of outgoing servers, and be received by a number of incoming servers at Virgin media. I looked at the delays over a 24 hour period, and there didn't seem to be any correlation with a particular server on either side; I can only assume that the Virgin media servers are at times rejecting connections (or timing out), and the message is then delayed until the forwarding service retries. Here is the record of delays in case someone else can make sense of it better than I can:
I am sorry your emails were getting delayed. Our platform will delay an email if suspected of being spam eg originating IPs on a blacklist, this will appear to the server as us not accepting a connection at times as well as other errors. I will send you a forum private message to discuss further.
A few days ago I did a check to see if any of the servers listed in my email header had particular issues surrounding SPF Authentication. However, all passed OK. There is apparently a 'greylist' which is occassionally used to catch potential SPAM emails and it is thought that the 1and1 server got caught up in that list somehow. My Email service has since resumed to normal service without problem. Although, I am currently duplicating the forwarding rules from 1and1 to my gmail account as well, just so I can monitor the email transactions, to ensure they mirror.
Thank you for posting that; I hadn't considered rate limitation, but that might be what's happening to me as well (as it's messages from my mail forwarding service that are being delayed, I'm not able to see what's actually happening to the extent that you are).
There are a number of complaints (and it seems to be increasing daily) from users reporting that emails are never being received, and a number of complaints from server admins (myself included) that emails are not being delivered.
In my case, (and that of a few others), it seems that when my mail server connects to the VM server, the handshake is initiated, then the VM server closes the connection.
Then when my server performs it's retry, the rate limiting takes over.
I've been complaining to this forum for over a week, and got absolutely nowhere.
Thanks for the update, pleased it is working better for you now. Yes as you mentioned we do have some spam problems particularly with 1 and 1 and are using rate limits that may of affected you. Good idea to forward to two mailboxes to monitor.