Menu
andrewcvm
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Some Virginmedia emails not being sent to Outlook on Windows Laptop

I have linked my Virginmedia email account to Outlook on my Windows laptop. This has been running successfully for 6 years. However last week I found a few emails that never made it to Outlook. All had a .net domain.

Is there a filter/policy that is stopping these emails being sent to Outlook? If so how do I resolve the situation?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some Virginmedia emails not being sent to Outlook on Windows Laptop

What do you mean by - “found a few emails that never made it to Outlook “?

If you found them, they must have arrived somewhere.

Or is it that -

1. They are in my Webmail Inbox but not my Outlook Inbox

2. Somebody told me they had sent me emails using my .net address and they haven’t arrived

3. They are in my Webmail Spam folder

4. They are in my Outlook Junk folder

5. I usually get emails from x, y and z but they haven’t arrived?

6. I have some auto-forwarding rules set up.

Please read this and be aware that Spam defaults are currently going through a change process -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Folder-Settings-Change/td-p/3267458

andrewcvm
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

(1) They are in my Webmail Inbox but not my Outlook Inbox

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. Confirm that they are not in Outlook's Deleted Items or Junk folders.

2. Which version of Outlook?

3. What happens when you hit Outlook's Send/Receive command? Any error messages?

4. Do the emails have large attachments or anything unusual about them?

5. Can you open the emails in webmail? 

6. Have you received new emails in Outlook since these ones arrived in webmail?

0 Kudos
andrewcvm
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. Confirm that they are not in Outlook's Deleted Items or Junk folders.>> I have checked and they were not there.
2. Which version of Outlook? >> 2010
3. What happens when you hit Outlook's Send/Receive command? Any error messages? >> No error messages
4. Do the emails have large attachments or anything unusual about them? >> they had 1Mb attachments, *.dot. I have had lots of other emails with 2Mb attachments.
5. Can you open the emails in webmail? >> Yes
6. Have you received new emails in Outlook since these ones arrived in webmail? >> Yes, I am getting emails all the time. It seems that I the emails from this address have been the only ones are not being 'copied' to my Outlook.

Note: I have asked that these emails be sent to my Google account and they are being 'copied' to Outlook, which suggests Virginmedia has some form of filtering in place.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmmmm. This is beginning to look like a “Re-install Outlook” answer.

It isn’t the VM mail server end which keeps track of what has or hasn’t been downloaded, it’s the Outlook client end.

This is a useful outline of who does what in the dialogue between Outlook and the mail server -

http://www.how2lab.com/internet/email/receiving-mail-multiple-times.php

If VM was applying any filtering affecting the emails in question, you would not be able to see them in Webmail. If a VM filter had erroneously identified them as, say, Spam, they should have been moved to your Webmail Spam folder and not left in the Inbox.

I am guessing that the most likely answer is that the emails have been downloaded but, a corruption in the Outlook .pst file is causing them not to be displayed.

Unless you are confident about switching to a new .pst file, or completely re-installing Outlook, I suggest you leave it alone for the moment and monitor the situation to see if this recurrs or any other symptoms arise. If it only happens with emails forwarded from Gmail, I’m sure you will not be the only person to notice this.

I suggest we leave this issue open for the Forum Team or anyone else to chip in.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media have a (unique) spam filtering strategy in that incoming messages not flagged as spam can be when outgoing; if that is the case here then, similar to when sending from an email client, no warning / error is returned. To confirm if this is the issue try sending one of the messages from webmail and see if an error similar  to that below is shown.

2017-01-10-00.jpeg

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM yet again doing the olde blocking emails again which have attachements, not allowing the user to even check.

I have been awaiting HMRC emails, which apparently have been blocked and not sent, luckily they sent a plain text email to me today and that is the first I have heard a response from them, if they didn't then it could have been a lot worse.

Fed up with VM doing this, they did last year as well, when I was not receiving important emails yet again.

So god damn **bleep**ing annoying as hell.

EDIT: And to make it worse I cannot get into my webmail either. 

Majide!
0 Kudos