Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Signing in

For the past week it has been impossible to sign in to my virgin media and to access the webmail service. We have two android devices and two win10 devices and access was denied on both types of devices simultaneously. We cannot reach the sign in section for emails or accounts so we are not even in a position to state that we are not robots. No-one at Virgin seems to be able to resolve the problem and only two of the many people who we have contacted seem to care. They have changed the settings remotely, added browsers, changed passwords (which surprises me) yet still no access. The broadband was "down" all day yesterday (planned) and is normally excellent, as is the 'phone service but I feel able to say that in my experience the webmail seems to be a very poor service.

I have been told not to complain since it is a free service but this does not appear to be part of the advertising. HELP PLEASE

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signing in

Welcome. It looks like you've been having a tough time but there is actually no reason for that.  While e-mail may be a free value added service you should still be able to connect to it and use it.  So don't worry about reporting issues with it.

VM did have massive difficulties over a week ago with accessing My VM and web mail but these have been resolved and all is working normally now - at least it should be.  That implies there is something odd going at your level.

I think you've probably already learned that the last thing you want to do is give VM CS staff control over your computer.  They are too fond of wanting to do this. Come here first the next time you have issues.

The first thing to do is with your browser - clear the browser cache and cookies. Google on how to do this because different browsers work in different ways. Start with your preferred browser and then do all the others that you and VM have installed. Actually it is always good to have an additional browser installed for back-up.

The password change trick is a recognised way of solving issues. The VM servers which hold your password details often lose sync and changing the password sorts this and restores access.

The second thing to do is to try an alternative browser to your favourite one. For some reasons browsers stop and start working normally. We don't always know why and so pragmatically the best thing to is to try a different one.

Hope this helps. Come back here if it doesn't improve.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your time and comments Howard.

I have now carried out all of those suggestions in some cases repeated the mtoo. Have loaded Opera, Firefox and reloaded Explorer and Chrome. Caches and histories emptied. As I said the problem hit us about a week ago and prevented access whatever machine or browser was used. It's difficult to imagine but it happened.

Now we can access Virgin's homepage, can even sign in to the mobile account, can navigate/ explore every area of the page BUT when "email" or "sign in" are clicked the "this site cannot be reached" is the only result.

I'm not a technician just a degree in mathematics but this is so frustrating. My answer right now is to spend more time checking out alternative providers. Don't want to but may have to.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This is odd. Not going to mess around with a million and one things that it might be. I'll ask the Forum Team to check out your e-mail address. Is it the one you used for this site registration? One thing I do have to check - are you a VM broadband customer, with a paid for account?

@ForumTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks indeed. Yes, the email is as is and confirm that I am a fully paid up member.

0 Kudos
dmj1954
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have had the web email sign on problem for some time and have spent hours trying to find a pattern.
Currently using IE11, I am never able to login, using Chrome I get in most of the time which is the same for Microsoft Edge.
However, using Firefox I get in every time. I have cleared the IE caches as suggested to resolve the IE11 problem with no success.
Most of the time I use Windows10 mail so will follow the forum in case there is a resolution..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi 4030,

I am really sorry about your email access issues. I shall do my best to find out what's causing this and get it rectified for you.

Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) with the requested data and I'll see what I can find out.

Many thanks,

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@4030

Please do as you have been asked and do it as soon as possible so we can start to get this resolved.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi 4030,

Thanks for providing that information Smiley Happy

We do have ongoing issues with intermittent webmail access. It usually works for me after about 2 or 3 page refreshes (F5).

I also used Google Chrome which most customers report as having fewer problems. 

This is the link I use for webmail.

This is the link I use for My Virgin Media access.

Please ensure that you are using no saved/favourite pages, links or shortcuts.

Browse to www.virginmedia.com and click on the email link in the top right corner. For MyVM access click on 'Sign In' in the top right of page and select My Virgin Media.

I know that you have most likely already done this but I'd rather put the request out there than risk not having checked the obvious!

First though we need to sort out your email password. My system checks are producing a password change prompt. Please respond to my PM so we can deal with that and then follow up with the previous information. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Jen, forgot to mention that neither of the two links you listed seem to work for me.

0 Kudos