Menu
eltee1960
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Setting up ntlworld email on iPhone 6

all of a sudden I cannot send emails from my iPhone 6. Nothing was changed or altered, just stopped being able to send. Have googled, checked the Internet and parts of this forum, but all details are as follows, user is correct, SSL is on, port 465, authentication is password, so all ok. But get message after trying to verify that I can't connect. Pulling my hair out. VM tried to assist via Twitter, but little they can do. Anyone??????
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting up ntlworld email on iPhone 6

hiya @eltee1960 welcome the virignmedia community forum, best to double check settings via -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2745&CURRENT_C... also can you log into webmail fine via http://mail.ntlworld.com
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
SupernovaB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a recent (2 day) problem with outgoing (emails form an iphone 5. Incoming mails are OK.
I use an @ntlworld.com address.
I have historically used smtp.virginmedia.com as the outgoing server. This has worked for a number of years.
The VM settings advise using smtp.ntlworld.com, but this doesn't work.
There must have been a change - anyone know what is going on?

eltee1960
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi paul,

Yep seen that, done it, but to no avail. I prefer not to log into webmail. I know it's a VM problem as both my iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 cannot send outgoing emails. So VM have done something and not told anyone.

I have also tried both smtp.virginmedia.com AND smtp.ntlworld.com and both give me a message that the server cannot be connected to. Have just re-added my account after taking it off for two days and will see if that has done anything. If not will be phoning VM.

Thanks for the assistance anyway.

eltee1960

eltee1960
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, so now I have re-added my email - the ntlworld account, and all is working. But why did this happen??  It has never happened before. It was not one OS, but two - iOS or Android, but both and both using the same details for the account.OK, so I haven't had an awful lot of feedback, nor seen any others with a problem and VM did not report any problems. So, **bleep**!!!???

Anyway, until the next time - hopefully not - all is OK. 

Thank you all for your input and assistance, greatly appreciated.

eltee1960

0 Kudos
SMaster
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same problem.

I last successfully sent an email on 14 April.

I have changed nothing yet now get a timeout error.

I've deleted the account and re-added it, but this didn't work for me.

Sm
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SMaster,

I'm sorry to hear you're getting the same problem.  First of all, could you double check the settings are up to date please?  Provided that's all OK, could you let us know what the wording of the error message is please?

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

joecrisp
Just joined
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the settings on the virgin site did not work for me.

however on Ipad

IMAP imap.ntlworld.com
SMTP smtp.virginmedia.com

and switch primary server smtp.ntlworld.com to 'off'

and switch server smtp.virginmedia.com 'on'

This resolved the problem of not bein able to send emails
0 Kudos
wilbouk
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have found the answer. If you are using ntlworld Email change both the Incoming and Outgoing Server to VIRGINMEDIA not just the outgoing mail

IMAP imap.virginmedia.com
SMTP smtp.virginmedia.com
This worked for me hope it helps Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Before anyone else comes across this old thread and gets too excited, the issue with Apple devices is more complicated than you might imagine.

We have had advice on the Forum for ages - as a sticky on this Board. Follow it and you will solve the issue when it happens to you. Nothing to do with VM; much more to do with the fact that Apple devices tend to default to their own built-in settings for no apparent reason:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

and please don't post anything further in this old and very expired thread. If you get this issue and are not sure what to do start your own thread.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos