Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Dave666

Setting up email on HTC one v

I've been trying set up email on this phone for 4 days. I've used all the incoming/outgoing pop smtp settings supplied on the media website. Some settings allow me to send mail, others to receive but not both. When receiving mail it only goes to the phone not the inbox in outlook on my laptop and so on. The most recent warning the phone gave me after attempting the latest setup was this...

Warning

Your outgoing server response:

421 aamtaout02-winn.ispmail.

ntl.com connection refused from

[149.254.56.219]

Last friday I spent an hour on the phone to virgin going through everything but we ran out of options, they were very helpful but nothing worked.

Has anyone had a similar warning? if it had said "Tresspassers will be shot!", fair enough. Any advice will be lovingly received!! Its not like getting my email on the phone will stop the war in Afghanistan or an immediate end to the x-factor but it would be nice to use the function as it's fairly useful when away from home/work. If the problem persists I will insist Virgin pay for my rehab as the only way to sit and tap away at that touch screen is by consuming vast quantities of alcohol. High quality liquor in some cases. So much so I am struggling to know (not just simply remember) what day it is.

Many thanks in advance, Dave xxx

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Peter_Li

Re: Setting up email on HTC one v

[ Edited ]

Hello Dave666,

Looking at the error message I can see that your phone has automatically chosen a outgoing mail server, which would be why you can't send. If you manually change the outgoing server to smtp.virginmedia.com SSL on port 465 server requires auth enabled/ticked and the incoming server to pop3.virginmedia.com SSL port 995, it should work.

Also, so that you can receive the Emails on your phone and on outlook, simply add the word recent followed by a colon ( : ) in front of your current username. For example, if your e-mail username is richard.branson@virginmedia.com, you would need to change it to recent:richard.branson@virginmedia.com.

Peter L
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Dave666

Many thanks, it worked! Hurrah!!!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Marjac33

Hi.  I'm having the same problem on my wifes phone using her @ntlworld.com email address.  I spoke to a guy from virgin mobile this morning who suggested I might be imputting the wrong email password.  First question how do I find what the email password is. I've been searching virginmedia website but without luck.

Please help!!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Dave666

I had the same problem, I wasn't sure what my password was (it was the same one used to login to my media).I managed to lock myself out of my account by panic password entries!  I rang virgin and got them to reset my password. This was done over the phone and was quick and easy.

I am having the same problem with my wife. Sorry her phone. I have reset the settings but I am sure that there is a different password that I must have made-up and long since forgotten. I haven't got around to sorting it out but I think it should be just a case of resetting her password and then setting the email up. Having said that, it has taken me just over a week to get my phone sorted. I even set up a gmail account just so I could contact colleagues. Try ringing virgin and resetting the password, if I can do it I would say anyone can.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

@marjac33 you can call technical support via 151 or 0845 454 1111 and as long as your the account holder. the password can be reset, which cant be done via the forum/community or you could try and goto https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password online password reset
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Lindielou

[ Edited ]

I have to say I have the same problem, I have never had such a complicated phone, I am ready to throw it at the wall!! Have tried the suggestions on here but nothing works ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.