cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up access to Virgin Media NTLWORLD email on iPhone or iPad

vkirbys
Tuning in

Well I have just got this working on an iPhone ... to access my ntlworld.comemail account

1st thing to note is that in order to get to some of the advanced settings I had to put a wrong password in for my email account ... then after the error message I could get to the settings that I needed to access.

I actually did this on an iPhone4, but it should be pretty much the same process on an iPad or iPad2

Here is the process - Step by Step

Goto to your iPhone's (or iPad) Settings Screen

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendar

Scroll to the bottom and Select the "Other" option ... (it is below MobileMe)

Select Add Mail Account

In the New Account screen enter your :-

Name (e.g. Joe Bloggs)

Address (enter your full email address ... e.g. joebloggs@ntlworld.com )

Password (do not put your correct password in yet ... put in something that is wrong)

Description (this will automatically get filled in, but you can put something more meaningful e.g. My NTLWorld email

Click Next (at top of screen)

then it should try and verify your account ... this will fail (as you put in the wrong password)

After that you should see a "Cannot Get Mail" error

Say OK to error message ... now you should have access to the settings that you need to get email working

In my case, I setup an IMAP Email connection (you can choose between IMAP and POP at the top of the screen)

The settings below are what I used:-

Name: Joe Bloggs (substitute your own name here!)

Address: jbloggs@ntlworld.com  (substitute your own email address here!)

Description: My NTLWorld Email

Incoming Mail Server (section)

Host Name:  imap.virginmedia.com

User Name: jbloggs@ntlworld.com (substitute your own email address here !)

Password: (Enter your own correct password now)

Outgoing Mail Server (section)

Against SMTP: smtp.virginmedia.com

Click where it says SMTP: smtp.virginmedia.com>

Then on the next screen click at the top where it says smtp.virginmedia.com

Make sure that Server is set to ON

Host Name: smtp.virginmedia.com

User Name: joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com

Password: Enter Correct Password

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

Server Port: 465

Click Done in top right corner, the Click Account and then at the bottom of the screen click the Advanced button

and under the section "Incoming Settings" I have the follow settings:-

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

IMAP Path Prefix / (do not enter anything against this field - leave it blank)

Server Port: 993

Click Account and then Click Done, then Mail

42 REPLIES 42

andydotpearson
Tuning in

Perhaps there has been a new iPhone OS since this article was written.

When I enter the imap and then the smtp info on my iPhone i have to hit the NEXT button top right of screen.

This will then try and Verify, and fail.

I am then asked if I want to try and verify without SSL. I hit OK and this fails too.

So, I have no access to the screen where Port information is entered, as you suggest in your post.

I think in order to access this information I'd have to first add an account, which I am unable to do.

Any thoughts?

A

Exactly the same boat here.

Its getting very frustrating.

is there any work around yet to send emails when away from my home network?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Take a look at this thread; it may help: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/new-iphone-on-ntlworld-com/m-p/1267819#M46745

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, after MUCH trial & tribulation with my 20 month old iPhone4 which started playing up this July after I'd been abroad I've just used -

http://www.solve.uk.com/blog/how-to-setup-ntl-world-email-on-an-ipad.htm

and it took maybe two minutes. Moved onto the wife's iPad & sorted that in less.

I'm very content - waiting 'til I go away again.........

Come on Virgin! Make the info readily available to all

Enjoy

B

I used above post and worked fine on my 4gs with io6

Debz1960
Joining in

Woman Indifferent

Yet again my ntlworld e mail settings have gone AWOL. I have a lap top Samsung phone and I pad. I couldn't receive or send on any. So tonight yet again I contacted virgin media as my password wasn't being accepted. I have had this account and same e mail for about 20 Ntlworld hen I contacted them tonight they said my password was fine and and hadn't been changed. Errrrmmmm funny how after I contacted them using the same password that hasn't worked for last 3 days it worked. I managed to send and receive from my lap top my Samsung but not my iPad. Funny how they sent me the settings and they won't work on iPad. So yet again I contacted there so called caring customer services who said it my be something wrong with my I pad and nothing to do with there settings. They then put me through to there so called tec support who wanted to charge me. I said thank you but no thank you. I will sort myself. What a load of idiots they are. I have spent 3 hours trying to set I pad up I could receive but not send. Hope this helps other people that need settings I'd they have a old ntlworld.com e mail..

so this is how I solved it 

e mail incoming server ...... @ntlworld.com

account name..........full email address including bit after@ 

requires secure connection (ssl yes )

incoming mail port .......993

Outgoing mail this is where they are advising wrong info

you then put smtp@virginmedia.com Not smtp@ntlworld.com

account nname full e mail aaddress requires secure connection (ssl) 

Yes

outgoing mail port change to 465 

and hey presto I can now send and receive. 

THINk virgin media need to get there staff trained instead of trying to rip people off with there tec support

Outgoing mail this is where they are advising wrong info

you then put smtp@virginmedia.com Not smtp@ntlworld.com

account nname full e mail aaddress requires secure connection (ssl) 

Yes

outgoing mail port change to 465 

and hey presto I can now send and receive. 

THINk virgin media need to get there staff trained instead of trying to rip people off with there tec support

Had the same problems a while back and eventually found that the outgoing had to be smtp@virginmedia.com. Now I can't remember how long ago this was but it was not just a couple of weeks ago but even if you go to the help page on how to setup mail it is still wrong......it still shows smtp@ntlworld.com

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=37919&CURRENT_...

This solution from 'solve it' worked fine on my ipad 3 but will not work on my husbands ipad 4. I get a message saying cannot connect to server.   This is very frustrating and am  considering changing to another broadband provider if they do not sort it soon!

landlord
Joining in

Many thanks for your help

I had phoned VM and they were going to charge me for this.

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi landlord,

The team on 150 shouldn't charge you for this. But I'm glad to see you've been able to get everything sorted. 

If you need anything else at all let us know and we'll do our utmost to get things sorted for you.

All the best.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide