cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up access to Virgin Media NTLWORLD email on iPhone or iPad

vkirbys
Tuning in

Well I have just got this working on an iPhone ... to access my ntlworld.comemail account

1st thing to note is that in order to get to some of the advanced settings I had to put a wrong password in for my email account ... then after the error message I could get to the settings that I needed to access.

I actually did this on an iPhone4, but it should be pretty much the same process on an iPad or iPad2

Here is the process - Step by Step

Goto to your iPhone's (or iPad) Settings Screen

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendar

Scroll to the bottom and Select the "Other" option ... (it is below MobileMe)

Select Add Mail Account

In the New Account screen enter your :-

Name (e.g. Joe Bloggs)

Address (enter your full email address ... e.g. joebloggs@ntlworld.com )

Password (do not put your correct password in yet ... put in something that is wrong)

Description (this will automatically get filled in, but you can put something more meaningful e.g. My NTLWorld email

Click Next (at top of screen)

then it should try and verify your account ... this will fail (as you put in the wrong password)

After that you should see a "Cannot Get Mail" error

Say OK to error message ... now you should have access to the settings that you need to get email working

In my case, I setup an IMAP Email connection (you can choose between IMAP and POP at the top of the screen)

The settings below are what I used:-

Name: Joe Bloggs (substitute your own name here!)

Address: jbloggs@ntlworld.com  (substitute your own email address here!)

Description: My NTLWorld Email

Incoming Mail Server (section)

Host Name:  imap.virginmedia.com

User Name: jbloggs@ntlworld.com (substitute your own email address here !)

Password: (Enter your own correct password now)

Outgoing Mail Server (section)

Against SMTP: smtp.virginmedia.com

Click where it says SMTP: smtp.virginmedia.com>

Then on the next screen click at the top where it says smtp.virginmedia.com

Make sure that Server is set to ON

Host Name: smtp.virginmedia.com

User Name: joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com

Password: Enter Correct Password

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

Server Port: 465

Click Done in top right corner, the Click Account and then at the bottom of the screen click the Advanced button

and under the section "Incoming Settings" I have the follow settings:-

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

IMAP Path Prefix / (do not enter anything against this field - leave it blank)

Server Port: 993

Click Account and then Click Done, then Mail

42 REPLIES 42

John_Hag
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi vkirbys,

Thanks for this. I'm sure quite a few people will find it useful - especially those who get an iPhone for Christmas.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

DavidJL
Tuning in
Excellent guide, I was having trouble setting mine up on my Christmas pressie ipad until I googled and found this topic. Many thanks vkirbys for the trouble taken in setting this out for us NTL users. The settings are slightly different to those on my MS Outlook on my PC. I am up and running and my mail seems to be fully functional.

As a P.S. to my previous message I subsequently synced my ipad with MS Outlook via itunes and overwrote my email settings (for various addresses) and need to edit them on my ipad. Just a precautionary tale. It's also well worth considering whether pop3 or imap suits you best.

http://www.solve.uk.com/blog/how-to-setup-ntl-world-email-on-an-ipad.htm This link was the answer to my prayers setting up e-mail up on an iPad 1 and iPad 2.

After hours of frustration I found this link.  ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zillur
On our wavelength

Link is awesome! This information should be on the email support page.

How can you have incorrect information on the support website for so long.

dnwsoa
On our wavelength

I found the settings for the iPad from dobz32 were the only way I could both send and receive on my iPhone 4S. The original settings only allowed me to receive. Very grateful for the instructions though.

FIXED WITH NO FUSS.....

Shame on Virgin for not having this to hand. They're quick enough to dip into your pockets.

PS: Check your broadband service is up to scratch there's a lot of work being done which is eroding signal strength and you should be still getting what you pay for... if not then ask for your money back. I did and got £10 off per month.

gezz57
Settling in

Hiya i've been having the same trouble with my iphone 4s and my ntlworld email address, i've tried your instructions but when i get to the outgoing server section its different on my phone, the option to click on smtp isn't there and i can't go any further

Up till then it's as you state in your instructions !

HELP !!!!!!

Gezz.